Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Scorpion pepper IPA. Am I insane?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2013, 01:20 AM   #51
aiptasia
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Them Scary Woods, FL
Posts: 3,519
Liked 531 Times on 469 Posts
Likes Given: 162

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitehause View Post
Just ordered some seeds....2.99+free shipping for 25 seeds. If I get 5 or 6 plants out of that, I'll be good. For 3 bucks, it's worth a shot. I can get em started a while since planting season in PA isn't for a couple months yet.
Sounds good. Give them plenty of magnesium and worm castings.
__________________
Paranormal Brewing
Beer so good, it's frightening.

2014: Seven Heavens Series One: Vilon, Mystic Melomel, Skeeter Pee.
aiptasia is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2013, 01:58 PM   #52
501irishred
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
501irishred's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Benton, Arkansas
Posts: 1,235
Liked 121 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitehause View Post
Just ordered some seeds....2.99+free shipping for 25 seeds. If I get 5 or 6 plants out of that, I'll be good. For 3 bucks, it's worth a shot. I can get em started a while since planting season in PA isn't for a couple months yet.
Have you ever grown peppers from seed? It can be a pain in the arse! If planting season is two months away, I'd recommend starting them inside, in a seed starter kit (mini green house). If you can get em to germinate by the time the weather cooperates, you'll have a better shot..... Were about one month away here, and I started my peppers about a month ago (habanero, jalapeno, cayenne, hot and mild bananas) and now thinking about attempting some scorpions too.
__________________
501irishred is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2013, 12:54 AM   #53
whitehause
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Fleetwood, Pa
Posts: 1,109
Liked 140 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 501irishred View Post
Have you ever grown peppers from seed? It can be a pain in the arse! If planting season is two months away, I'd recommend starting them inside, in a seed starter kit (mini green house). If you can get em to germinate by the time the weather cooperates, you'll have a better shot..... Were about one month away here, and I started my peppers about a month ago (habanero, jalapeno, cayenne, hot and mild bananas) and now thinking about attempting some scorpions too.
Yep....Farmed about 400 acres for a number of years. That's why I figured if I get 5 or 6 good plants from 25 seeds I'll be doing ok. I don't think I'll need a bushel of these things, a few should do the trick, plus give me plenty of seeds for future growing.
__________________
Screw it, Lets brew it

Primary 1- BM's Cream of three crops.
Primary 2- Paleface Scalper
Primary 3- Monks Reward (Kreuzberg)
Kegged - Honey Badger, Heady topper clone 1, Indian Paleface Scalper
Bottled- Skeptical Dog winter Lager, Hell's Belgian, Old Dutch Hiefer Hefe,Aphlewein, Chocolate Thunder porter, Jacked up lantern
whitehause is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2013, 02:53 AM   #54
501irishred
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
501irishred's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Benton, Arkansas
Posts: 1,235
Liked 121 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitehause View Post
Yep....Farmed about 400 acres for a number of years. That's why I figured if I get 5 or 6 good plants from 25 seeds I'll be doing ok. I don't think I'll need a bushel of these things, a few should do the trick, plus give me plenty of seeds for future growing.
Sorry, guess I should have caught the 5-6 reference. I'd imagine your right about the number "needed". I usually grow 3-4 of one really hot pepper of some kind each year, and end up asking myself towards the end of the season why I grew THAT many.... (tomatoes are easier to give away surplus)
__________________
501irishred is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2013, 03:05 AM   #55
whitehause
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Fleetwood, Pa
Posts: 1,109
Liked 140 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 501irishred View Post
Sorry, guess I should have caught the 5-6 reference. I'd imagine your right about the number "needed". I usually grow 3-4 of one really hot pepper of some kind each year, and end up asking myself towards the end of the season why I grew THAT many.... (tomatoes are easier to give away surplus)
Yea, 5 or 6 is probably 4 or 5 more than I'll really need, but I'll get to have fun with some friends who think they're real pepper heads, and a local pub near me prides themselves on making all their own wing sauces and likes to experiment (they have a mango Habanero that's awesome). They would take some too I'm sure.
PA's not the best pepper growing region by far, but I have acidic sandy soil,and I've had some good success in the past so even if the conditions aren't optimal I'm sure they'll be hotter than anything else I've grown.
__________________
Screw it, Lets brew it

Primary 1- BM's Cream of three crops.
Primary 2- Paleface Scalper
Primary 3- Monks Reward (Kreuzberg)
Kegged - Honey Badger, Heady topper clone 1, Indian Paleface Scalper
Bottled- Skeptical Dog winter Lager, Hell's Belgian, Old Dutch Hiefer Hefe,Aphlewein, Chocolate Thunder porter, Jacked up lantern
whitehause is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2013, 05:13 PM   #56
brewinginnc
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 293
Liked 38 Times on 24 Posts

Default

We eat them at work and yes you are insane

__________________
brewinginnc is offline
cheezydemon3 Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2013, 05:36 PM   #57
cheezydemon3
Registered User
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: louisville
Posts: 12,967
Liked 1640 Times on 1234 Posts
Likes Given: 3007

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewinginnc View Post
We eat them at work and yes you are insane
Insane like us eh?

Yeah, a superhot beer is a novelty. A beer is what you want when you are eating superhots.

I guess you could eat plain tortilla chips and drink liquid death.....

All superhots from habanero on up are tough to sprout. they want it warm and wet but not moldy....a fine line.

Watering with chamomile is supposed to suppress mold.

They take nearly a month to sprout too.

Cayenne and jalapeno sprout when you sneeze on them, not so for superhots.

I start mine in NOVEMBER under flourescent grow bulbs.
__________________
cheezydemon3 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2013, 09:13 PM   #58
aiptasia
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Them Scary Woods, FL
Posts: 3,519
Liked 531 Times on 469 Posts
Likes Given: 162

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewinginnc View Post
We eat them at work and yes you are insane
I think i've reached a comfortable heat level with the extract. It's hot enough to enjoy the whole beer but not so hot that you scream in pain with the first sip. Again, I wanted this experiment to be a drinkable, hot IPA but not something useful in mortal combat against the huns.
__________________
Paranormal Brewing
Beer so good, it's frightening.

2014: Seven Heavens Series One: Vilon, Mystic Melomel, Skeeter Pee.
aiptasia is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2013, 09:33 PM   #59
BoomerHarley
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: oakland, ca
Posts: 209
Liked 60 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Default

I made a habanero ale that was awesome. I simply cut out the veins and seeds and it cut the heat a lot. Totally drinkable and delish.

__________________
BoomerHarley is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2013, 09:36 PM   #60
brewinginnc
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 293
Liked 38 Times on 24 Posts

Default

I get it, its just not my bag baby

__________________
brewinginnc is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is this insane, or should I go for it? Golddiggie Mead Forum 23 12-04-2012 03:50 PM
FirstGear Thermo and a Scorpion EXO-900. GilaMinumBeer General Chit Chat 16 11-27-2012 04:55 PM
Is this insane? RJSkypala Recipes/Ingredients 13 06-03-2010 11:48 PM
Am I insane??? Brewtopia General Techniques 70 05-21-2009 04:21 PM