Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Scorpion pepper IPA. Am I insane?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2013, 12:48 AM   #31
aiptasia
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 531 Times on 469 Posts
Likes Given: 162

Ok, i've got a 12 oz hopslam poured on 10 drops of the extract in a solo cup. Here we go.

Alright, after polishing off the cup, i've got a slight tingle in the mouth and mild warmth in the throat and the stomach. It's not quite as much punch as I would like, so i'm going to wait an hour for any heat effects to wear off and then try fifteen drops in another 12 oz bottle of hopslam.

Don't think of it as hopslam, think HOTslam.

2014: Seven Heavens Series One: Vilon, Mystic Melomel, Skeeter Pee.
cheezydemon3 Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2013, 08:03 PM   #32
aiptasia
Recipes 

I tried 15 drops in a hopslam last night. Still not quite hot enough for what i'd like. I'm thinking about 20 drops now and will give that a go. That should work out math-wise as well, since I had seven drops earmarked at about 4 ounces. At 12 ounces, that would be 7 drops x 3 (3 fours will go into 12), so that works out to 21 drops approx. per 12 ounces.

At that, the maths work out to:

20 drops = 1 ML = perfect for a 12 oz IPA

At a six gallon recipe, I usually get about 5 gallons bottled due to trub loss and the angel's share. That's 53 bottled 12 oz. beers.

That works out to approx. 1.8 fluid ounces going into the bottling bucket which should be about 1/2 of the 4 ounce jar of devil juice.

Old 02-07-2013, 01:37 AM   #33
501irishred
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 29

How is the taste holding up at higher heat levels?

Old 02-07-2013, 10:36 AM   #34
aiptasia
Recipes 

Surprisingly really well. What's nice about this pepper is that it has some fantastic floral and fruity notes to it. If you watch the youtube hotheads eating them, they usually say the same thing. Great flavor up front.

It's the same with the extract, the flavor comes through first. Soft, juicyfruit flavor with a floral note like eating squash blossoms. You get that flavor profile first before the heat slowly starts to creep in. From that point, the heat just keeps building and building and building, every second getting hotter and spreading to new areas of your mouth, your throat and stomach. The aftertaste is heat and the same soft floral fruit flavor.

It's completely unlike other hot peppers i've had.

I want it to be drinkable, unlike beers like Ghostface Killah. That beer is peppery heat and a lot of people can barely finish one. I want this beer to be enjoyable all the way through but make you question whether or not you can handle a second or third.

Old 02-07-2013, 05:41 PM   #35
cheezydemon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1641 Times on 1234 Posts
Likes Given: 3007

Do you have 1.8 oz left?

Hopefully. A different soak might vary.

Old 02-07-2013, 05:45 PM   #36
AZ_IPA
PKU
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6134 Times on 5344 Posts
Likes Given: 749

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiptasia View Post
I tried 15 drops in a hopslam last night. Still not quite hot enough for what i'd like. I'm thinking about 20 drops now and will give that a go. That should work out math-wise as well, since I had seven drops earmarked at about 4 ounces. At 12 ounces, that would be 7 drops x 3 (3 fours will go into 12), so that works out to 21 drops approx. per 12 ounces.

At that, the maths work out to:

20 drops = 1 ML = perfect for a 12 oz IPA

At a six gallon recipe, I usually get about 5 gallons bottled due to trub loss and the angel's share. That's 53 bottled 12 oz. beers.

That works out to approx. 1.8 fluid ounces going into the bottling bucket which should be about 1/2 of the 4 ounce jar of devil juice.
Keep in mind there might be a slight difference between the heat/flavor when adding to a chilled/carbed beer and tasting instantly, versus adding at bottling time and waiting for bottle conditioning to occur.

After dry peppering, my habenaro IPA tasted way too hot with a warm, uncarbed sample, but when all was said and done a few weeks later, it was perfect.

Hope it works out for you!

Old 02-07-2013, 09:26 PM   #37
aiptasia
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezydemon3 View Post
Do you have 1.8 oz left?

Hopefully. A different soak might vary.
I've got plenty left. I've used about 2 ml thus far. That's three full fluid ounces and 27.5 ml left to play with. Give or take.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_IPA View Post
Keep in mind there might be a slight difference between the heat/flavor when adding to a chilled/carbed beer and tasting instantly, versus adding at bottling time and waiting for bottle conditioning to occur.

After dry peppering, my habenaro IPA tasted way too hot with a warm, uncarbed sample, but when all was said and done a few weeks later, it was perfect.

Hope it works out for you!
I've taken that into consideration. The only way to really know would be to do test bottles with different measured amounts and sample them at various times. Unfortunately, I don't have that kind of time on my hands, so i'm now considering 1.25 ml per bottle, which is coming out to 2.25 fluid ounces for a five gallon batch. I'm going to sample the heat from 1.25 ml in a beer tonight.

If it behaves the way it's been behaving with the taste samples, it should be slightly warmer than i'd like. Hopefully not throat punch, uncontrollable hiccup hot... but just slightly hotter. That way, if it fades a little, it's not a problem. I do the same thing with my oaked beers because the flavor fades and mellows out so fast.

Old 02-07-2013, 11:27 PM   #38
aiptasia
Recipes 

Yeah, ok I just downed a palate wrecker with 1.25 ml. of the Scorpion Pepper extract in it. That's 25 drops in a 12 oz. bottle. It's plenty hot bordering on too hot. I don't think I want to push it beyond this level. With a little bottle conditioning, I think this will be just about perfect. My lips burn, my gums burn, my mouth, esophagus and stomach are all kinds of lit up. It's like a good habanero salsa burn. It's not unbearable heat but if I drank another one, i'd be in some severe pain.

Old 02-08-2013, 02:21 PM   #39
cheezydemon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1641 Times on 1234 Posts
Likes Given: 3007

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiptasia View Post
Yeah, ok I just downed a palate wrecker with 1.25 ml. of the Scorpion Pepper extract in it. That's 25 drops in a 12 oz. bottle. It's plenty hot bordering on too hot. I don't think I want to push it beyond this level. With a little bottle conditioning, I think this will be just about perfect. My lips burn, my gums burn, my mouth, esophagus and stomach are all kinds of lit up. It's like a good habanero salsa burn. It's not unbearable heat but if I drank another one, i'd be in some severe pain.
That and tghe hops and the unfiltered brew are going to be a downright super healthy dose!!!!

Unfiltered beer is good for us, hops too, and capsaicin is incredibly good for us!

Only thing that might top it would be a hoppy spicy stout. (unfiltered of course!)

Old 02-08-2013, 02:43 PM   #40
501irishred
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 29

aiptasia - I know you "happened onto" your peppers, but do know of a good source? From the looking around I've done, you grow you own or go without.... I can buy seeds all day long, but haven't come across a supplier for the actual peppers. I have a hankering for some scorpions!

Quick Reply