The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Schlafly Pumpkin AG Clone Recipe - Please Critique

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2012, 03:40 AM   #1
smchenry75
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Schlafly Pumpkin AG Clone Recipe - Please Critique

Here's my stab at a Shlafly Pumpkin Clone. I started with the info from Schafly's website... They state the following:

• Grains: 2 Row, Crystal, Munich, Wheat Malt, Chocolate Malt
  • Hops: Marynka - 16 IBU
  • Other: Pumpkin & Spices
  • ABV: 8.0%
  • OG: 1.077
  • SRM: 26.6
  • Yeast: American Ale

Here's the recipe I've come up with... Please critique.
  • Batch Size 5.7 gallons
  • Boil Size 7 gallons
  • Brewhouse Efficiency 65%
  • 12 lbs Munich Malt
  • 6 lbs 2 row pale malt
  • 1 lbs white wheat malt
  • .75 lbs Crystal 120
  • 3.2 oz Chocolate Malt
  • .6 oz Marynka Hops - 60 minutes
  • American Ale Yeast
Will add carmelized pumpkin and spices in the last 5 minutes of the boil and then add pumpkin pie spice to taste to the secondary.

Beersmith has this recipe hitting my ABV, IBU's and SRM almost exactly. My OG is a bit high... 1.08 vs. 1.077.

I feel like this is pretty close but welcome suggestions. I absolutely love this beer and want to nail it. Thx!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2012, 05:18 AM   #2
TheJollyLlama
Recipes 

Just realized I had already blown through half my case of Schlafly's for this year, and I need to cool it! Definitely right there with you, my all-time favorite pumpkin beer.

I find that Schlafly's definitely has a unique spice profile. Most pumpkin beers just taste like cinnamon with a bit of clove to back it up, but the Schalfly's seems like it's a little more aggressively nutmeg-y, and that the cinnamon much lighter, in the back with the clove.

Old 08-30-2012, 05:23 PM   #3
bobbrews
Recipes 

Liked 276 Times on 238 Posts
Likes Given: 18

This beer contains a portion of butternut squash as well as real pumpkin. The website or bottle doesn't list it, but it's in there. Both of these squash are most likely mashed, boiled, and added to the fermentor. The beer seems to finish quite high do to all the residual sweetness and full body. So be careful in that regard when you consider the yeast selection and application.

Old 08-31-2012, 01:29 AM   #4
aknox
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I am drinking one of these now. One of my favorite Pumpkin beers, but at $12.99 a six, it's killer. This recipe looks intriguing. I may have to brew this up just in time for the fall. I just bottled my Pumking clone but it wouldn't hurt to have 5 more gallons of my other favorite pumpkin beer.

Old 09-01-2012, 04:52 PM   #5
smchenry75
Recipes 

Would you be willing to share your pumking recipe?

Old 03-25-2013, 06:02 PM   #6
ateurtrk79
Recipes 

How did this one turn out OP? Anything you would do different? I want to make a clone of this, this fall. I tried contacting Schlafly through email about this recipe, but got no response yet. It doesn't seem like they're willing to part with it though. They list the ingredients on the website, but not quantities or anything. I was thinking of trying to put this one together in BeerSmith, but I'm sort of new to creating any recipes and couldn't figure out how much of each ingredient. I had what I thought was close, but I didn't save it because I wasn't sure about it. Also, how much of the spices did you use?

Old 04-29-2013, 04:23 PM   #7
TheBrewWarrior
Recipes 

Likes Given: 22

I'm also curious, OP. Please post!I'd love to give something like this a shot.

ALSO! This topic provided some interesting notes: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/schl...24/index2.html

My ultimate goal is to put together an apple pie ale recipe, which I haven't been able to find much on, but it seems like getting down a good pumpkin recipe would be a great starting point.

Quick Reply