Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Saving yeast cake

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2008, 08:40 PM   #1
Torchiest
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Saving yeast cake

Okay, I was planning on brewing an imperial stout today, but the weather is horrible, making brewing look like a no-go. I have a porter in primary, and I was planning on racking the stout on top of the yeast cake after I moved the porter out.

Theoretically, would it be possible to rack the porter to secondary and then save the yeast cake by leaving it in the primary carboy? Like, could I leave the whole thing in my fridge and chill it down to 40ºF to save it, or is it going to just die?

I'm wondering because the porter has been in primary for three weeks, and
I really don't want to leave it in there anymore, but I don't wanna lose the yeast. I could just start over with another vial of yeast, but I'd rather not if I have the option.

#48 Black Helicopter Porter #49 Pikemen Porter
Up Next:
#50 Imperious IPA
#51 Razz Buried

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2008, 08:47 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2775 Times on 1659 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Why don't you want to leave you porter in the primary for a few more days til you can rack and brew? I leave the majority of my beers in primary for a month, and skip secondary...

And yeast won't die in the fridge, it will just go dormant. A lot of us have mason jars full of yeast in our fridges...The only danger is in freezing the yeasts without glycerine solution...then their cells could possibly rupture...But in a fridge is fine...

I personally would just leave the porter in the primary until brew day for your stout, then rack and put the stout on it...That way the yeastcake will be sterile from the beer until brewday...

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-06-2008, 08:51 PM   #3
EdWort

Recipes 

Liked 273 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torchiest View Post
Okay, I was planning on brewing an imperial stout today, but the weather is horrible, making brewing look like a no-go. I have a porter in primary, and I was planning on racking the stout on top of the yeast cake after I moved the porter out.

Theoretically, would it be possible to rack the porter to secondary and then save the yeast cake by leaving it in the primary carboy? Like, could I leave the whole thing in my fridge and chill it down to 40ºF to save it, or is it going to just die?

I'm wondering because the porter has been in primary for three weeks, and
I really don't want to leave it in there anymore, but I don't wanna lose the yeast. I could just start over with another vial of yeast, but I'd rather not if I have the option.
I have left yeast cakes chilled in the fermenter chamber for a few days after racking off the beer to a keg. I crash cool to 39 degrees anyway, so the yeast packs down nice & tight for racking. I leave a layer of beer on top, and put the airlocks back in the bucket lids and put them back in the chest freezer to remain chilled till my next batch is ready. I've gone a few days without any problems. I just dump my chilled wort right on top (get rid of the beer on top from the previous batch first).

Old 08-06-2008, 09:25 PM   #4
Torchiest

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Thanks for the quick responses, guys. I suppose I'll just wait until this weekend. I can't wait to brew the Imperial Stout though, having recently tried a few really good commercial versions.

#48 Black Helicopter Porter #49 Pikemen Porter
Up Next:
#50 Imperious IPA
#51 Razz Buried

Old 08-06-2008, 09:35 PM   #5
Coastarine
We get it, you hate BMC.

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'd say just leave a tiny bit more beer after racking than you usually would. If it's only going to be a couple of days I'd bet you'd be fine without refrigerating at all. The yeast don't care how much beer is on top of them and they've been fine at your ferm temp for this long.

On Tap.........[The Munchner][Spiced Cider][English Cider][Simcoe IPA][Triple Hops Grooved][Cider'n 'gnac]

Old 08-06-2008, 09:43 PM   #6
BarleyWater

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Search for Yeast Washing, it's really easy and you can save your yeast for months.

Fermenting: Nada
On Tap:Cran Wit, Dr Pepper Dubbel, Cascadian Pale Ale, Dark Chocolate Stout, Imperial Stout, Brown Mild, Schwarzbier
On Board: IIPA

www.franconiabrewing.com

Old 08-06-2008, 10:08 PM   #7
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty

Recipes 

Liked 214 Times on 119 Posts

i'd say just wait. it's not going to hurt your beer.

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Old 08-06-2008, 11:10 PM   #8
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2775 Times on 1659 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastarine View Post
I'd say just leave a tiny bit more beer after racking than you usually would. If it's only going to be a couple of days I'd bet you'd be fine without refrigerating at all. The yeast don't care how much beer is on top of them and they've been fine at your ferm temp for this long.
I have done this for a day or two in a sealed fermenter as well....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply