Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Sassafras root in secondary?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2012, 02:16 PM   #11
ChessRockwell
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronVonMeisterburger View Post
Please let us know how that turns out.

I've been wanting to make exactly what you just made for a long time, but only recently started making beer. I think I would probably boil the sassafrass, but maybe it will work in the secondary too.
Yeah I'm not sure how much it's going to get out of it with no boiling, but I figure the high level of alcohol should do some extracting. Next time it will definitely go in the boil with the other roots. It's got a REALLY strong smell so I'm gonna go pretty light on it, I don't want it to overpower the Sarsaparilla aroma. Will post updates in 2 weeks when I rack to secondary and taste. I've got a little less than 2 gallons in a Mr Beer keg so I plan on racking one gal. to a jug for dry-hop and bottling the remainder with no dry hop.
I'll post how both turn out!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2012, 04:53 PM   #12
ChessRockwell
Recipes 

Transferred a gallon over to secondary today, on top of .4oz sarsaparilla and .1oz sassafras. Bottled the rest, so I'll have a nice comparison of "dry-rooted" vs. not. Should be interesting! Will report back in about a month when I can do some taste tests.

Old 03-31-2012, 06:51 PM   #13
BaronVonMeisterburger
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I bet it will taste good.

Old 05-16-2012, 04:47 AM   #14
ChessRockwell
Recipes 

Ugh, I don't know what happened, but it's nasty, as well as completely un-carbonated. Neither batch shows even a trace of carbonation, and I've done this recipe before several times, the only difference being hops vs. herbs, and it's never had a problem being fully carbonated in 3 weeks. Over a month now and nothing in either the dry rooted batch or the other. I could see myself being an idiot and forgetting priming sugar for one or the other, but they were bottled on two separate occasions a week apart and I distinctly remember weighing out the one ounce of priming sugar for the dry rooted batch. Also tastes completely awful, sour and overly (tangy?) completely devoid of any sweetness despite finishing at 1.026.
Not sure if it was an infection - I'm not an expert but don't infections usually result in OVER carbonation, not under? Or is there something that can completely kill the yeast resulting in no carbonation, anyone know? I'm at a loss here...

Old 05-16-2012, 05:02 AM   #15
TimpanogosSlim
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppymonkey View Post
Safole Oils contain quite a bit of carcinogens and was taken out of root beer in the 70s. It is used as a precursor to make MDMA so not something I would want to add to any beverage I make , but hey I had sassafrass root as a child too.
Eugenol is a precursor for MDMA and it comes from cloves.

Fenugreek is both a faux-maple flavoring and a precursor for many drugs.

Being a precursor isn't an indication of anything but being a handy molecular structure.

Safrole is considered a weak carcinogen in rats, only because it is metabolized by rat digestive systems into metabolites that are carcinogenic. Research has not found the same metabolites in human consumption.

The stuff was banned because it's way easy to turn it into methamphetamines (of which MDMA is a close relative). No other reason.

Quick Reply