Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Sassafras root in secondary?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2012, 12:49 PM   #1
Jim Karr
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default Sassafras root in secondary?

A neighbor asked this morning about tapping a sassafras tree for sap, like is commonly done with maple trees, for maple syrup.

My twisted mind then went to adding sassafras root to the secondary fermenter, on the principle of dry hopping.

Any thoughts/ideas/smart remarks?

As for me and my household, we shall serve the Lord. Joshua

"God is great, beer is good, people are crazy." Some country artist

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2012, 12:22 PM   #2
bmickey
Recipes 

Was wondering the same thing!? Why not make a sassafras ale.

Old 03-10-2012, 01:11 PM   #3
BigRob
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If you're buying a processed safrole-free root I'd say go nuts, if your buddy has a sassafras tree and you're looking to use pieces from it, you might want to reconsider.

Old 03-10-2012, 01:39 PM   #4
bmickey
Recipes 

We used to make sassafras tea all the time from sassafras root. I just learned recently that they say it may contain carcinogens. I am probably already doomed in that case. Didn't they use to say that about peanut butter too?!

Old 03-10-2012, 01:45 PM   #5
hoppymonkey
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Safole Oils contain quite a bit of carcinogens and was taken out of root beer in the 70s. It is used as a precursor to make MDMA so not something I would want to add to any beverage I make , but hey I had sassafrass root as a child too.

Old 03-10-2012, 01:56 PM   #6
bmickey
Recipes 

Yes makes sense the more I read. So maybe the safrole free stuff like Pappy's sassafeas extract would be safer. Good input guys.

Old 03-10-2012, 02:00 PM   #7
maybe
Recipes 

I don't know much about this, but a lot of the time when they test this stuff on rats they extract just the compound (safrole) instead of the whole plant. This is from wikipedia: "It naturally occurs in a variety of spices such as cinnamon, nutmeg, black pepper and herbs such as basil. In that role safrole, like many naturally occurring compounds may have a small but measurable ability to induce cancer in rodents. However, the effects in humans if any are similar or less than risks posed by breathing indoor air or drinking municipally supplied water."

Old 03-16-2012, 05:28 AM   #8
ChessRockwell
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Well, I'm trying it. Made a root beer-ish imperial stout (gruit really) with mugwort, sarsaparilla root, and licorice root in the boil (no hops). Store didn't have sassafras root when I brewed so I left that out, but now they got it so I'm throwing it in as a dry "hop" along with a little more indian sarsaparilla (this stuff smells amazing). It's got a couple more weeks in the primary before I rack and "dry-root" it for a week. Will post how it comes out. I'm sorry but I just don't trust the FDA to tell me what's safe to put in my body, I'll do my own research...

Old 03-16-2012, 12:33 PM   #9
BaronVonMeisterburger
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessRockwell View Post
Well, I'm trying it. Made a root beer-ish imperial stout (gruit really) with mugwort, sarsaparilla root, and licorice root in the boil (no hops). Store didn't have sassafras root when I brewed so I left that out, but now they got it so I'm throwing it in as a dry "hop" along with a little more indian sarsaparilla (this stuff smells amazing). It's got a couple more weeks in the primary before I rack and "dry-root" it for a week. Will post how it comes out. I'm sorry but I just don't trust the FDA to tell me what's safe to put in my body, I'll do my own research...
Please let us know how that turns out.

I've been wanting to make exactly what you just made for a long time, but only recently started making beer. I think I would probably boil the sassafrass, but maybe it will work in the secondary too.

Old 03-16-2012, 01:20 PM   #10
ktblunden
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 250 Times on 159 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessRockwell View Post
That sounds awesome. Subscribed. Let us know how it turns out.

Quick Reply