Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Samll amounts of Dextrin Powder inhibit bittering by Hops?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2012, 10:09 PM   #1
bdolce
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Samll amounts of Dextrin Powder inhibit bittering by Hops?

I was using Beercalculus software and found what looks like an anomaly. According to the software, if I add just 2 oz of dextrin powder during the boil, the hops are inhibited and the calculated IBU's drops off severely. I know that malts inhibit the bittering, but I do a late addition with my extracts to address this and caramelization concerns. I am fairly new to brewing (have brewed 11 batches so far) and have always added dextrin at the beginning of the boil because the first book I read said to do so for a better head and retention - it appears to have worked well (my beers have all had a strong head and retention). If anyone knows the answer to this question, I figured it would be someone here. Otherwise, I think I found a bug in the new Beercalculus software.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2012, 11:16 PM   #2
BigEd
Recipes 

Liked 125 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Something is wrong with the program. Malts don't "inhibit" bittering. Higher gravity boils, like extract partial boils, yield less IBU extraction percentage so you do need slightly more hops in a partial boil compared to a full boil of the same recipe to get the same amount of bittering. However, 2 oz of maltodextrin added to a recipe will not make a significant difference.

Old 08-21-2012, 06:00 AM   #3
dwarven_stout
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I'll second the "it's a bug".

"I can't believe how many people think Air Lock is pronounced Hydrometer." -BigKahuna
"If you gave me a beer with placenta in it without telling me I would kick you in the nuts." -ODaniel
"We be in a big hurry for dope beer with much alcamahol and flavor, quality, balance, and aroma don't matter. We just wantz to be druck, u know?" -Yooper

Quick Reply