Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Saison Yeast - White Labs 565 vs. 566

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2010, 07:13 PM   #11
dirty_martini
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

565 always seems to stall, but will pick back up after some dormant time. I've never had it finish above 1.020. That makes me wonder about mash temps. I always mash saisons really low so they end up bone dry. However, doesn't hurt to finish with something clean once it stalls. Most of the flavor profile comes from the initial fermentation anyway.

Even though in general I'm a white labs guy, my preference for saisons is the wyeast French saison now.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2010, 08:31 PM   #12
neomantra
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty_martini View Post
565 always seems to stall, but will pick back up after some dormant time. I've never had it finish above 1.020. That makes me wonder about mash temps. I always mash saisons really low so they end up bone dry. However, doesn't hurt to finish with something clean once it stalls. Most of the flavor profile comes from the initial fermentation anyway.

Even though in general I'm a white labs guy, my preference for saisons is the wyeast French saison now.
it picks back up after dormant time? what kind of lag time are you talking between when the krausen dies out to reaching a reasonable FG? (i will probably just pitch some washed wlp001 eventually)

Old 05-27-2010, 09:20 PM   #13
dirty_martini
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by neomantra View Post
it picks back up after dormant time? what kind of lag time are you talking between when the krausen dies out to reaching a reasonable FG? (i will probably just pitch some washed wlp001 eventually)
Can't say for sure. The advice I was always given was to give it time. I've notice it pick up after 2-3 weeks, but most of us aren't that patient

Old 05-27-2010, 11:41 PM   #14
robbieo13
Recipes 

i just did a 10 gal batch of saison. 5 gal wlp 565 and 5 gal wyeast 3724. 4 days in to the ferment and the 565 is at down to 1.015 and the wyeast is up at 1.035 from an og of 1.066. i started the ferment at 65 and have ramped up to 80 now. the they both are still going pretty strong.

Old 02-23-2011, 06:55 PM   #15
brewguyver
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I ran into a similar problem with my current saison using the 565. It seemed to ferment heavily for 2 days and stopped dead. The other bucket (I split a 12gal batch into two fermenter and pitched both with the same starter) is going like crazy.

Despite the fact that I clearly didn't kill the yeast, I opened up the bucket and checked gravity -> it's down from 1.068 to 1.02 already. Very odd.

Old 07-21-2011, 05:03 PM   #16
shanecb
Kvlt Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 9

This is sort of an old thread, but I just want to say for anyone else who has this problem and finds it that the 565 strain is MEANT to be used in conjunction with another yeast strain to ferment it out (per Chris White). The 566 is meant to be standalone and can attenuate just fine. It won't be uncommon at all to have a fermentation stop pretty high with 565.

We are the Sons of Winter and Stars
We ́ve come from a far beyond time
Forever the fire burns in our hearts
Our world shall never die
- Wintersun
ditch Likes This 

Quick Reply