The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Saison looking a bit flat.. pimp it?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2013, 02:10 PM   #11
beauvafr
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 213

So far, apart some spice I might be adding, the recipe will have only light DME and hops to make the final wort. Should I add dextrose/sugar during the boil like this guy is doing to add a dry finish to the beer ?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2013, 02:47 PM   #12
chickypad
lupulin shift victim
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 227 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 103

Quote:
Originally Posted by beauvafr View Post
So far, apart some spice I might be adding, the recipe will have only light DME and hops to make the final wort.

Should I add dextrose/sugar during the boil like this guy is doing ?
The recipe you're using lists a lb of corn sugar, pretty sure that's supposed to be in your fermentables. Most saison recipes have a fair amount of simple sugars so they finish dry. You can add it at flameout, I would also do late addition of about half your DME at that time.

Edit: it definitely is part of the fermentables, it lists your OG s 1.063 for 3.5 gallon, you won't get there with just 4 lb DME.

Old 04-22-2013, 05:32 PM   #13
Schumed
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Didn't see this discussed...but the key to a great Saison is temp control....Saison yeast will produce all the spices, flavors, and aromas you would expect with a warm temp control...I like to start at 68 for the first 48 hours then gradually warm up to the mid 80's

Stay away from the S-33 as someone else said...didn't not what kind of strain this is but the Belgian description that is out there on this strain is bogus....T-58 is not bad...I really enjoy the new Bella Saison Dry yeast as my go too....3711 and 3724 are solid too

I recently medaled with a Saison...with nothing but Pilsner Malt and Sorachi Ace hops...and the spice and unique flavors you get is pretty awesome....

"To alcohol! The cause of... and solution to... all of life's problems,"

beauvafr Likes This 
Old 04-22-2013, 05:36 PM   #14
Schumed
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 15

also if you want to add the spices...check out the lawn mower saison midwest offers....its a solid beer...the ingredients list and instructions are listed...gives you the instructions too

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/lawnm...grain-kit.html

"To alcohol! The cause of... and solution to... all of life's problems,"

Old 04-22-2013, 05:57 PM   #15
julioardz
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I like WLP568 fermented at around 68-70F for my saisons. It ferments quick without having to raise the temperature into the 80's and 90's and it has a nice balance of fruity and spicy flavor and aroma. I have also added a bit of ginger at flameout. I didn't precisely measure the ginger, but it was the equivelant of about 3 large cloves of garlic, finely chopped. It was nice once the spiceness from the ginger mellowed with conditioning. I have always added corn sugar to the boil to get a dry finish in my saisons. I shoot for a FG of 1.005-1.008

Old 04-22-2013, 06:57 PM   #16
beauvafr
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickypad View Post
The recipe you're using lists a lb of corn sugar, pretty sure that's supposed to be in your fermentables. Most saison recipes have a fair amount of simple sugars so they finish dry. You can add it at flameout, I would also do late addition of about half your DME at that time.

Edit: it definitely is part of the fermentables, it lists your OG s 1.063 for 3.5 gallon, you won't get there with just 4 lb DME.
You are right.. I think they made an error writing their recipe. I'll check with them.

Old 04-22-2013, 07:01 PM   #17
beauvafr
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schumed View Post
also if you want to add the spices...check out the lawn mower saison midwest offers....its a solid beer...the ingredients list and instructions are listed...gives you the instructions too

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/lawnm...grain-kit.html
Really looking great. That was my reference too.

Old 04-22-2013, 07:05 PM   #18
beauvafr
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by julioardz View Post
I like WLP568 fermented at around 68-70F for my saisons. It ferments quick without having to raise the temperature into the 80's and 90's and it has a nice balance of fruity and spicy flavor and aroma. I have also added a bit of ginger at flameout. I didn't precisely measure the ginger, but it was the equivelant of about 3 large cloves of garlic, finely chopped. It was nice once the spiceness from the ginger mellowed with conditioning. I have always added corn sugar to the boil to get a dry finish in my saisons. I shoot for a FG of 1.005-1.008
Never tough about ginger. Not a bad idea. Thanks!

Old 04-22-2013, 07:06 PM   #19
beauvafr
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by julioardz View Post
Maybe adding corn just after the DME since it's a short 30 min boil (only 3.5 gallon of water) ?

Old 04-22-2013, 07:21 PM   #20
julioardz
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Ginger is great. It has both that fresh citrus and peppery spicyness to it. At the time, I was doing the boil on my stove and had some ginger sitting in a bowl next to me when I decided I would try it out on a whim. 3 weeks after bottling, it still had too much spice from the ginger and too much yeast character. 2 weeks after that it was perfect and stayed that way to the last bottle.

I've added corn sugar at the start of a 60 minute boil and 5 minutes before flameout with little effect on the color and flavor, from what I can tell. I wish I understood more about the relationship between pre-boil wort gravity and hop utilization to give a better answer, but I don't. As far as I know, adding corn sugar to the wort pre-boil or at any point during the boil is the same for me.

Edit: If I ever try a ginger saison again, I may consider adding more after primary fermentation is complete, like dry hopping, but with ginger. I could pick out the ginger because I knew it was in there, but it was very subtle after 5 weeks of bottle conditioning.

Quick Reply