Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Saison Dupont clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2008, 08:18 PM   #1
rockout
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Saison Dupont clone

Hi everyone -

Last Xmas I got a book called Clone Brews and have finally gotten around to attempting one of the recipes. Bought the ingredients for the Saison Dupont recipe yesterday and will be brewing this coming week. It's my first attempt at any clone as well as my first Belgian or wheat variant.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience with this recipe or similar recipes and can give me any tips, stuff I should pay careful attention to, basically anything that's not in the instructions. I've been brewing for 1.5 years and have gotten pretty decent for a beginner extract brewer.

Here's the ingredients if anyone is wondering:

1/2 lb German Vienna malt
5.75 lb M&F extra-light DME
1 lb M&F wheat DME
1 lb Belgian clear candy sugar
1.4 oz Stryrian Goldings @5% AA (7 HBU) bittering hops
3/4 oz East Kent Goldings flavor hops
1/2 oz Curacao bitter orange peel
1 tsp Irish moss

Wyeast 1214 Belgian abby ale

1 1/4 cup M&F extra-light DME for secondary.

I'm also wondering about this DME for secondary - I've never seen this before in any recipe I've used. Anyone care to shed some light on that?

Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2008, 08:21 PM   #2
Soulive

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I have that book too and I recommend not following it too literally. Are you sure the DME is for secondary and not for carbonating? Brewing Saisons with all extract can be tricky. The style depends high attenuation and its hard to dry out when using extract...

===================
Green Lane Brewing
===================

Primary = Evan!'s Special Bitter
On Deck = EdWort's Porter / American Amber

EdWort's Haus Pale Ale Count

Old 06-14-2008, 08:24 PM   #3
rockout
Recipes 

I confess I don't have the book on me, and the recipe was emailed to me by my wife (I'm on the road and ordered ingredients online) - so maybe she mis-transcribed something there. Certainly makes sense to me that it would be for carbonating.

So since going all-grain is not an option for me, what would you recommend in this case to increase attenuation?

Old 06-14-2008, 08:26 PM   #4
Soulive

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockout View Post
I confess I don't have the book on me, and the recipe was emailed to me by my wife (I'm on the road and ordered ingredients online) - so maybe she mis-transcribed something there. Certainly makes sense to me that it would be for carbonating.
I don't have mine on me either, but I know almost all the recipe in there call for DME to carbonate. I'd recommend using more Candi sugar to dry it out and make sure you have a starter for that yeast...

===================
Green Lane Brewing
===================

Old 06-14-2008, 08:29 PM   #5
rockout
Recipes 

yeah, a starter is a definite for me - I've been using them for every beer since like my 4th one and I'm very happy with my results, both in final gravity and taste.

More candi sugar!!? I'll have to call the place I ordered from and see if I can add the sugar to shipment; hopefully it's not too late. How much would you add?

Old 06-14-2008, 08:31 PM   #6
Soulive

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockout View Post
yeah, a starter is a definite for me - I've been using them for every beer since like my 4th one and I'm very happy with my results, both in final gravity and taste.

More candi sugar!!? I'll have to call the place I ordered from and see if I can add the sugar to shipment; hopefully it's not too late. How much would you add?
You can just use plain table sugar if you already placed the order. I'd use 4-8oz more sugar...

===================
Green Lane Brewing
===================

Old 06-15-2008, 01:37 PM   #7
Cugel
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulive View Post
Brewing Saisons with all extract can be tricky. The style depends high attenuation and its hard to dry out when using extract...
What is it about extract brewing that makes brewing saisons difficult? Just guessing - is it that when you mash you can mash for a longer time and increase the fermentability of the wort relative to the fermentability of the extract?

Old 06-15-2008, 01:57 PM   #8
bikegeek
Recipes 

Looks like a pretty tasty saison recipe, but I wouldn't expect it to taste much like Dupont. Dupont is made with 100% pilsner malt (last I heard) and a very distinctive house yeast. WLP565 would give it that Dupont spiciness, but more often than not it craps out around 75% attenuation and needs help from another yeast to finish up.

You nailed it with the fermentibility of extract being the problem when you want a dry beer. As Soulive suggests, replacing some of the extract with sugar will help the attenuation.

Old 06-15-2008, 07:00 PM   #9
JAKlaassen
Recipes 

There is a Jamil show where he talks about getting dry beers wit extract. I actually think it was the saison show. But, he says you can do a little mini mash with extract by warming the extract to sach rest temp (~50F) along with some cracked base grain and the enzymes will work even on the sugars in the extract, making them more fermentable. I don't remember the exact process, so you should see if its in the saison episode that he mentions that.

http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/jamil.php

Old 06-17-2008, 07:52 PM   #10
rockout
Recipes 

I'm not overly worried about having it taste like Saison Dupont; this is more of an experiment to see how a recipe from my Clone Brews book comes out.

I'm glad I asked about it here, though, as I'm definitely interested in getting higher attenuation, so I guess I'll add about 4 oz. of table sugar. EDIT: If I have corn sugar (that I sometimes use for bottling) would that be better than table sugar?

As a footnote, yes, the DME "for secondary" was actually a transcribing error by my wife and was indeed for bottling.

I'm going to try to find that Jamil show now.

Quick Reply