Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Saison

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2011, 06:00 PM   #21
ChillWill
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrewtastic View Post
I like my saisons as dry as possible. I can typically get it down to 1.004. I do a 90 minute mash at 145.

If you want it to be "historic" then it needs to be relatively low alcohol. Today's saisons are much higher in alcohol than history dictates. Shoot for around 5% alcohol.
Very true. Maybe even lower.

The saison I've made was never meant to be 'true' to the style. Bit like most American / New World IPA's aren't particularly 'true' to the IPA style.

One thing to note though, is make sure you're taking high attenuation into account. I forgot and used an internet OG calculator which simply put high attentuation ~77%. Aiming for 6% but with high attenuation and lots of priming sugar for high carbonation I think it's hit 7%. Oops

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2011, 04:59 AM   #22
Taygel
Recipes 

Brewing went well, ended up only adding some Veinna malt to the recipe. Mashed low and long(145 for 90 minutes) Mashed out 168. Ended up with 1.061. Not bad.

New question:

I bought a heating wrap(Fermwrap), the kind that wraps around the carboy. Anyone have any solutions on to keeping heat on it without a temp overide and thermoter?

I guess i'll keep checking on it over the next week or so. I really want to showcase the yeast and its ****yness by fermenting warm...high 70's or low 80s. Any ideas as to how quick this wrap heats 5 gallons up?

Will it keep going to say 90's if i forget?!!!

Old 04-01-2011, 12:46 PM   #23
JLW
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'm new to saisons but I have read a lot on them. Correct me if I am wrong here, but I believe it is ok to ferment saioson's into the mid to upper 80's and some brewers ferment in the 90's

Where did you get your Fermwrap?

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it is difficult to detrmine whether or not they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln
Fine Creek Brewery

Primary: 12-12-12 Wee Heavy, Stone Ruination Clone, Bell's Better brow Ale Clone and Saison d'Hiver
Secondary:
Botteled: All Columbus IPA, Chocolate Peppermint Baltic Porter, Ewalds Altbier, Hopslam Clone, Scottish Strong Ale, Fine Creek Saison, Not so Pale Pale Ale, Double Chocolate Oatmeal Imperial Stout
Kegged: Indian Brown Ale

Old 04-01-2011, 01:26 PM   #24
brewhappy
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taygel View Post
Brewing went well, ended up only adding some Veinna malt to the recipe. Mashed low and long(145 for 90 minutes) Mashed out 168. Ended up with 1.061. Not bad.

New question:

I bought a heating wrap(Fermwrap), the kind that wraps around the carboy. Anyone have any solutions on to keeping heat on it without a temp overide and thermoter?

I guess i'll keep checking on it over the next week or so. I really want to showcase the yeast and its ****yness by fermenting warm...high 70's or low 80s. Any ideas as to how quick this wrap heats 5 gallons up?

Will it keep going to say 90's if i forget?!!!

I pitch at 75 and raise it 1 degree each day until I hit 86 and then hold it at 86 until I reach FG.

I use a fermwrap too, I have a couple of them actually, I love them. I use a ranco controller.

I would be very careful about leaving the fermwrap just plugged in all the time, it's really going to be difficult to maintain a consistent temperature, which is important. If it warms up too much, over 90ish for more than a couple weeks, you risk autolysis.

I'm not well versed in the many other methods of temperature control because I've always used a controller.

I just racked my recent saison to secondary, it was at 1.004. It was in the primary for 18 days. The sample tastes great!

Good luck, I'm interested to see how it turns out. Actually that reminds me of a "Super" Saison I did a while back. I had to use the controller on a different beer and I pitched it much lower than I do now. The temps during fermentation were all over the place. Initially it was sour and had green apple flavors. After a month in a keg and then another month in bottle's it actually turned out good. All the off flavors went away and I just drank my last one last night in fact. So if it doesn't turn out right away just let it sit for a couple months and see what happens! Gotta love the magic of beer!

Old 04-01-2011, 08:00 PM   #25
ChillWill
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts

Just posted the Saison I've done recently, hardly true to the style but it has turned out so well I'm definitely making this regularly! Couldn't stop smiling while trying a bottle after only two weeks conditioning.
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f71/new-world-saison-236779/#post2797371

Old 04-01-2011, 08:24 PM   #26
Taygel
Recipes 

Well woke up this morning to it pretty warm(89)..so my solution was to wrap a towel around it, insert that bulky probe inbetween the glass and and towel and then I wrap the ferwrap around all that. I set it to 80. Hopefully that will keep warmer that usual.

Old 04-01-2011, 09:44 PM   #27
smokinghole
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 109 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 10

For easy temp control (raised in this case) I use a 20gal party bucket filled with water and the fermentor is submerged in the bucket. Then I use a 100w aquarium heater to keep the temp steady adjusted according to my thermapen which is actually VERY close to the temp dial.

I just need to get a temp controller and use this method in the winter in my garage for lagers. That way I can regulate the heater below 70F and use the cold of my garage to keep the temp in check.

Going through life is hard.
Going through life stupid is harder.

Old 05-23-2011, 05:48 AM   #28
Taygel
Recipes 

Update on sasion:
Went from 1.051 to 1.008, Fermented for a week at 80 degrees! Tasted funky and delicious. Cant wait to have it cold and carbed!

Old 05-27-2011, 06:54 PM   #29
portlandbeergeek
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

i did a saison with acid malt a couple years back. sounded like a good idea at the time, but just 4 ounces in five gallons left a notable mark that wasn't very desirable.

Better late than never i suppose!

I drink I have a thinking problem!!!

Old 06-01-2011, 04:03 AM   #30
eanmcnulty
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Saison has become one of my favorite beers. I brewed my first about 4-5 weeks ago, and opened a bottle after 9 days. I couldn't wait. It was excellent! I had brewed with Mexican piloncillo sugar. I don't know why. I just wanted to do something different from my usual rigid experimentation. WOW! So good. I don't even know what the piloncillo is doing to the saison, so I brew it again with table sugar. We have to wait for that one.
I don't have a way to raise the temp, so it just sat in my basement at 65F to ferment. Still, it was excellent. I'm very happy, and I will be doing aa lot of experimentation with this style.

Quick Reply