The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Saison?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2009, 11:57 AM   #1
claphamsa
Professional Jezter PWNZR
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Saison?

I wanna make a Saison, but all the recipes im finding have insane mash schedules.... is this 100% required? Does anyone have a recipe with a normal mash schedule?

I collect magnetic bottle openers... so if you see something nice......

claphamsa on untappd

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2009, 12:49 PM   #2
Edcculus
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 37 Posts

Can't say that I've seen complicated mash schedules. I'd do a long low mash. Something like 145 for 90 min. You could step it up to 155 for the last 20 min or so. The point is that you are trying the wort as fermenable as humanly possible so it turns out nice and dry.

I'd suggest listening to the Jamil Show podcast on Saison. IMO, its the best Jamil Show episode.

Also, make sure you use Saison yeast. No spices etc. The flavors should be all yeast derived.

Old 03-16-2009, 08:04 PM   #3
Cugel
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edcculus View Post
I'd suggest listening to the Jamil Show podcast on Saison. IMO, its the best Jamil Show episode.

Also, make sure you use Saison yeast. No spices etc. The flavors should be all yeast derived.
+1000 on this.

I made a mistake and put orange peel into my saison, I regret that so much it's scary. The saison yeast is truly magnificent in producing a stunning beer, just leave it alone to do it's work.

Also on the Jamil show they note that you should ferment the second half (or maybe last 1/3) of the fermentation at high temps to get the yeast to finish. It has a habit of sticking, and looking dead, at 75%. Some heat, a few swirls and it'll keep on chugging over 80%.

You need the saison to finish dry, 1.008 or less.

Relax, don't worry etc. and so on.

Primaries: Old Ale, Barleywine, ESB, Scottish 80/.
Secondaries: Lime Wine, Strawberry-Banana Mead, Carmenere (from 144 lbs of grapes!), Engl. Barleywine, Modded JOAM, Concord Grape Pyment.
Kegs: Choc/Coffee Stout, Saison, Dry Stout.
Bottles: Belgian Str. Dark, Dubbel, Cider X 2, Modded JOAM, RJS Pinot Noir, RJS Aussie Cab. Sauv.
Coming soon: Blueberry Mead.

Old 03-16-2009, 08:10 PM   #4
keelanfish
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

I'd also suggest waiting for the White Labs Saison II yeast to come out again. I've got a stuck fermentation at 1.031 using the Saison I yeast.

Old 03-16-2009, 09:14 PM   #5
Doog_Si_Reeb
Beer is Good. And stuff!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edcculus View Post
I'll second this. There is good advice on that show for mashing, grain bill, getting good attenuation, etc. I'm going to do my first Saison here in a few weeks and I'm glad I listened to that one.

Primary: BohPils3
Kegged: Vienna Lager, Mánagarmr Stout, Ratatoskr IIPA, Cider
Bottled: Yule Gruit

Old 03-16-2009, 09:45 PM   #6
rsmith179
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I 100% agree with listening to Jamil's episode about Saisons... can't go wrong listening to them before you brew. Gotta keep up the high fermentation temps (80F plus...) to keep the yeast active and also release the esters that are found in Saisons. This alone will give you a somewhat fruity taste, but I don't see why you can't add spices as well.

One of the other guys really regrets putting oranges in his Saison. I have to disagree. I have a Saison right now with bitter orange peel, grains of paradise, and corriander. None of those spices were used heavily, but they do produce a wonderful taste in the beer, IMHO.

"Brewers enjoy working to make beer as much as drinking beer instead of working."
-Harold Rudolph

Quick Reply