Sage Addition to IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
After having great luck with a Rosemary RyePA (small amount used at flameout and 'dryherbed.')
I'm interested in using another bitter/savory herb Sage in an IPA.

I did an extensive search, but found very little info on recipes for adding Sage to a beer recipe. I know there are some commercial brews out there using Sage, but its not clear to me how much and when to use it. I have dried whole leaf sage.

I am planning an IPA extract brew the recipe is as follows:

Specialty Grains: 12 oz Belgian Caramel Pils, 4 oz Briess Caramel 120
Fermentables: 6lbs Pilsen LME, 1lb Pilsen DME
Yeast: Safale US05

Hop Schedule:
45min - 0.5oz chinook
30min - 0.5oz glacier
20min - 0.5oz chinook
10min - 0.5oz citra
5m/Flameout - 0.5oz glacier (Sage?)
Allow 2 weeks Fermentation
Dry hop (1 week) - 1 oz chinook, 0.5 oz citra, (Sage?)

Expected ABV = 5.3%, Expected IBU = 53

Im considering adding a small amount at flameout and also with the dry hop. Maybe 0.25oz at flameout, and 0.5-1oz dryhop

Would appreciate any advice on how much Sage to add and when to add it in the process. Thanks!

If your going to add sage, I would add it at flame out maybe a teaspoon to a half tablespoon if you like the sage, but want more i would add roughly the same amount at the end of primary fermantation.

If you dont like it i would dryhop with a ounce or so with your choice of hops

Haven't done this, but a sage rye sounds like fun to me. I'd dry "hop" a small handful of whole leaf, bound with twine so you can remove when it tastes right--soaked in a neutral booze or very briefly boiled for sanitation.

Im considering adding a small amount at flameout and also with the dry hop. Maybe 0.25oz at flameout, and 0.5-1oz dryhop

Just made a Sage ESB, opt on the lower side (.25 - .5 oz) for the dry-hop. Sage is a very dominant flavor and comes through quite clearly over lighter tastes. Resembles A1 steak sauce; would pair nicely with something savory like pork chops or - go figure - steak. Definitely a less-is-more kind of herb.

Back