The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > safbrew t58 yeast...WTF??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2006, 12:57 AM   #1
Ivan Lendl
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default safbrew t58 yeast...WTF??

Ok before I used this yeast everything I read about it just said something to the effect that it has a spicy, peppery falvor. So I made an APA using it and I tried one last night after it was in the bottle for only 3 days just to see where its at. The beer tasted and smelled really alcoholic almost like a belgian ale and I was thinking maybe it was due to high ferm. temps (75-80) but today I got my 'williams brewing' catalogue and under thier t58 description it says "estery ale yeast good for belgian and wheat beers" so maybe its supposed to taste alcoholic? Isnt fusel alcohol a by product of high ferm temps? Im just hoping it mellows out after a few weeks in the bottle otherwise this beer is headed for the ****ter...(btw the og was only 1.050 so it shouldnt taste alcoholic at all)

Primary: empty
Secondary: empty
Bottled: Barbarian IPA
Up next: Configuration 9

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2006, 02:03 AM   #2
Beer Snob

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I used this in my last brew. Only problem with saying if it fits the first or second description is that the brew was a stout. The BPM certainly would mask out a spicy flavor... though it certainly does not taste alcoholic. When I bought it I was looking for the spicy and peppery flavor but perhaps this was the wrong brew for this flavor to come out in the yeast.

"Don't worry, have a homebrew." ,"The "Bible"

Cherries in the wheat
Michael's Wheat

Old 08-29-2013, 08:43 PM   #3
pmyb
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I used this in my spiced ale, hoping it would deliver those peppery notes.
It's very sweet and has an abv of 10%. Also, I noticed it darkened considerably as it fermented. From a medium dark brown to reddish black. I kept fermenting temp between 62-68*f. Precarbonation tasting was great, but any experienced home brew knows to let it age a bit before you can tell what the final tastse is like. If its good, I'm thinking naming it something like 'dead frat boy'. Il post the recipe after I give it a few finished tastse.

Old 08-29-2013, 11:04 PM   #4
tagz
Recipes 

Liked 107 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 14

The suggested range is 59 to 68 so you fermented pretty hot which produced excessive amounts of fusel alcohol. It might condition out slightly but it wont go away completely. Look into temp control.

Old 08-29-2013, 11:27 PM   #5
Curtis2010
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I assume the temps you quoted were ambient? If so, then wort temps were likely even higher due to ferm activity...almost certain to cause some issues.

The bad news, as I understand it, significant fusels wont condition out, never have for me, only way to seperate them out is distillation.

You could mask them by blending. I accidentally made a really awesome braggot like this once...using an IPA with fusels as the base.

Old 08-29-2013, 11:37 PM   #6
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4202 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 779

Not that I don't love discussion, but do you guys realize that you're responding to a post that is over 7 years old?!?!

Sure, his temperatures were too hot but maybe he brewed it again in the last 7 years.

Quick Reply