Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > safbrew T-58?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2012, 03:19 PM   #11
Nateo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Sorry to revive a zombie thread, but here is my experience with T-58, in case anyone thinks about using it in the future.

T-58 is my favorite yeast. If used properly you can make a good, if not great, Belgian beer. Many people have had bad experience with it, so here's my advice:

Ferment low. Like 60*F. It gets weird at high temps. At 60* I get a lot of clove character. I recently brewed a Wit with it, and it came out amazingly well. It had a stronger clove character than many "wit" yeasts, so bear that in mind. Higher temps will get you more fruitiness, but also a lot more off-flavors (higher alcohols, etc.).

I've brewed Saisons back-to-back with 3711 and T-58, and while 3711 edged it out a bit in the spice department (more complex spiciness, less clove-centric), they were really close.

The biggest problem I have with T-58 is it doesn't attenuate well. It tends to crap out around 1.010, even with a lot of simple sugars. So extra care and attention is required to get it to ferment to dryness. I've also found large amounts of corn sugar (20%) to bring out more of the clove phenolics.

To paraphrase Dr. England - "Off-flavors smooth with time. So do mountains. Brew it right from the start!"

My blogsite: http://nateobrew.blogspot.com/

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2012, 08:02 PM   #12
BruBrus
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Glad you revived the thread, Nateo. I've come across some malted spelt from my local malthouse (perhaps the rarest sentence in brewing), and the plan is to brew it up with some T-58, Magnum, and Cascade this week. Rough recipe outline follows:

5 lbs American 2row
4 lbs spelt
1 lb crystal spelt (!!!)
1/4 oz. Magnum @ 60
1/4 oz. Cascade @ 15
1/4 oz. Magnum @ 5
T-58

Anticipated OG: 1.051
Anticipated IBU: 19

I'm happy to accept advice between now and brewday, but there are no guarantees I'll take it

Old 12-24-2012, 06:04 PM   #13
dropitlikesitshot
Recipes 

I am about to write up a thread about three different yeasts I used in making a Belgium Dubbel. T-58 is one of them. Summary: it started fast, within 4hours (airlock activity) and smells great!

Look for my post for full write up on WLP500, WLP515, and Safebrew T-58.

Old 12-24-2012, 11:17 PM   #14
LexusChris
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Default T-58 Belgian Yeast

I'm about to try T-58 for the 1st time, on a Belgian Pale Ale recipe.... I want a balance of spice phenols and fruit esters.

Perhaps I should ferment in the fridge at 64-F during active, and let it free raise to 68-F for clean up? Sounds like I don't want to give it too much room to go bananas on me....

--LexusChris

Old 01-30-2013, 06:15 AM   #15
highgravitybacon
Recipes 

Liked 202 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 151

I had two beers with T-58. One I made, one someone else made. They both were ass in a glass. Horrid. Unpleasantly peppery, sour smelling was the one. The other, just bizarre. I get nothing Belgian with this. Just a bunch of crap. Not a yeast I will be using again.

Old 01-30-2013, 04:11 PM   #16
tennesseean_87
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 105

Quote:
Originally Posted by highgravitybacon View Post
I had two beers with T-58. One I made, one someone else made. They both were ass in a glass. Horrid. Unpleasantly peppery, sour smelling was the one. The other, just bizarre. I get nothing Belgian with this. Just a bunch of crap. Not a yeast I will be using again.
Can you elaborate? Ferm temps, recipes, etc. I used it at 68 in a Belgian PA and the bottling sample was fine. We'll see how it goes after bottle conditioning. I've got it going in a Tripel that started at 68 and ramped up to 73, and the airlock smell is great, pretty fruity. I'm pretty new to Belgian beers, though so take my advice with a grain of salt.

Old 03-11-2013, 05:17 PM   #17
Beautrain
Recipes 

I'm using it to ferment a Sahti, currently. I put a heating pad under it on low and wrapped it in blankets. Within 24 hours it had shot to 92 degrees. Had a sample today and it was delicious, really peppery and spicy. Very excited to see how it finishes.

Old 03-12-2013, 11:16 PM   #18
buzzerj
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I used it once in making a Belgian Pale Ale for my kid to drink. He didn't like it and was only able to choke it down. Needless to say I won't be using this yeast again. So if you see a bunch of posts on here with bad reviews on a given yeast, guys saying they won't use this yeast again, you maybe should have some second thoughts. My advice? Cut open the yeast pack and sprinkle it on the ground. Then go get some good yeast and make a good beer. If you want a Belgian ale get some liquid yeasts. Otherwise use anything else you choose, but I can't in good conscience recommend this yeast. Don't waste a good batch of wort with a bad yeast.

Old 03-13-2013, 10:40 PM   #19
Baudhuin
Recipes 

Default Giving it a shot

I'm going to have at this yeast. I've tried various belgian-derived strains with mixed results. If this strain is anything like what goes into Duvel, more rigorous temperature control may be the key. BLAM (and Brewing Classic Styles) mentions ramping the temperature up from a relatively cool pitch at 64F to a cozy 80F over the course of five or so days. That will be my modus operandi for the next batch.

Woohoo: my first post!

Old 03-14-2013, 05:49 AM   #20
highgravitybacon
Recipes 

Liked 202 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baudhuin View Post
I'm going to have at this yeast. I've tried various belgian-derived strains with mixed results. If this strain is anything like what goes into Duvel, more rigorous temperature control may be the key. BLAM (and Brewing Classic Styles) mentions ramping the temperature up from a relatively cool pitch at 64F to a cozy 80F over the course of five or so days. That will be my modus operandi for the next batch.

Woohoo: my first post!
I found this strain to be absolutely nothing like the Duvel strain. If your plan is anything even remotely Duvel, you may be disappointed.

Quick Reply