Safale US-05 Attenuation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Recently got 84.4% with US-05 while doing a blonde ale,, FG 1.045 ,, OG 1.007 just bottled so still waiting :rolleyes:,
I really hope Santa brings a keg set up this year .....

I like to do a Sierra Nevada Celebration-esque IPA in the fall. The malt bill includes about 13% crystal malt and typical mash temperature is 154-155F. This year I did not take the time to make a WLP001 starter so I rehydrated two packs of S-05 for a 5 gallon batch.

Even with that much crystal and a decently high mash temp, the S-05 still caused it to overshoot the attenuation (went from 1.067-1.014 for about 79% apparent attenuation).

I’m sorry I didn’t take the time to read all three pages of this thread, however, I consistently get 87-90% attenuation on all beers using US05. Think this could be a process problem? mash issue? Water profile? Curious to know what people think.

It doesn’t bother me much because I really like my beers dry and I pretty much solely breed pale ales, ipas, and blonde ales. But I would like to know why, as I’d like to keep my ipas from drying out as much as they tend to. I do pitch a lot from harvested slurry.

I’m sorry I didn’t take the time to read all three pages of this thread, however, I consistently get 87-90% attenuation on all beers using US05. Think this could be a process problem? mash issue? Water profile? Curious to know what people think.

87-90% attenuation is something you can get with a really good saison yeast and an infection. US-05 can get up to 80-81%, but you need to mash low, long and with only base malt. It will never go close to 90% without an infection is involved or a cross-contamination with a diastaticus yeast or similar.

I've used a lot of US-05 lately. I like it better than Notty and it's cheaper.

I don't want to get into advertising a product, but I've seen 500g bulk bags of Safale US-05 on eBay for $80 w/free shipping.

(Rounded out math to make it easy) 500g / 10 (a pkt is 11g) = 50. 50 X $4 = $200. That's a savings of $120.

That's a WIN-WIN any day of the week.

I've used a lot of US-05 lately. I like it better than Notty and it's cheaper.

I don't want to get into advertising a product, but I've seen 500g bulk bags of Safale US-05 on eBay for $80 w/free shipping.

(Rounded out math to make it easy) 500g / 10 (a pkt is 11g) = 50. 50 X $4 = $200. That's a savings of $120.

That's a WIN-WIN any day of the week.

The dry yeast is stable for years in the unopened foil packs. Once opened it will absorb water from atmosphere and start to go bad. I looked into this once and decided not worth the risk.

It would be great if I could ever use that much of the same yeast. I've been brewing since '14 or '15 and I haven't made 50 batches yet. I guess a group buy would work.

Back