Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Safale US-05 Attenuation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2011, 04:47 PM   #51
Spartan1979
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 117 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 119

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnj View Post
What did you mash at and what did you ferment at. I've only ever used liquid yeasts but I'm looking to move to dry for the pitch rate consistency and it's ease of storage.

Is the consensus to mash a little higher with this yeast?
Mashed at 152-153, Fermentation started out around 64° finished about 70°.

It's the first time I used this yeast. I think I may stay away from it for low gravity beers.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2011, 04:29 PM   #52
HomeBrew32
Recipes 

I used this yeast and my IPA has been bottled for 3 weeks and in the fridge for 1 week, but the yeast isn't really sticking to the bottom. Why wouldn't it be sticking? This is the first time I used this yeast and any other time I have brewed I haven't had this issue. It makes it real difficult to pour and keep the sediment out of your glass even with proper technique. Any thought would be appreciated.

Old 07-18-2011, 02:13 PM   #53
HomeBrew32
Recipes 

Anyone have an answer??

Old 07-19-2011, 01:02 AM   #54
mightynintendo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 117 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeBrew32
I used this yeast and my IPA has been bottled for 3 weeks and in the fridge for 1 week, but the yeast isn't really sticking to the bottom. Why wouldn't it be sticking? This is the first time I used this yeast and any other time I have brewed I haven't had this issue. It makes it real difficult to pour and keep the sediment out of your glass even with proper technique. Any thought would be appreciated.
Cloudy beer can occur for many reasons.

'Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne.'

—Kurt Vonnegut, Breakfast of Champions

Old 07-19-2011, 01:20 AM   #55
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4958 Times on 3589 Posts
Likes Given: 1002

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeBrew32 View Post
Anyone have an answer??
It's just that way. It's not like S04 that forms a super tight yeast cake quickly and sticks like cement. S05 will clear eventually, but a week in the fridge may not be long enough.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 10-12-2011, 04:25 AM   #56
JonK331
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Wow! I just got 81.48% with it.

Old 10-12-2011, 04:57 AM   #57
HOPCousin
Recipes 

I've used 05 for quite a number of beers. It's a great yeast that seems to impart a clean but round flavor around 70% for fermentation. I tend to mash around 154 because it attenuates so well when mashing at lower temps. I do find I need to secondary, then standard 1 month condition, and then 1 week in the fridge before serving to get a clear beer with little to no yeast. Great clean American style yeast.

Old 10-12-2011, 06:18 AM   #58
DannPM
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubie Stout View Post
Made a Blonde Ale this week. Mashed @ 148 for 75mins. Pitched one packet of Safale-05 and finished out at 1.006. 85%. After reading this, the common theme seems to be a low mash temp = high attenuation with this yeast.
and that way with all yeasts lol

Time to have some fun

Old 12-05-2011, 04:40 AM   #59
Jmurm
Recipes 

I am a little freaked out on the last 3 beers ive done with us 05. My ipa dident finish dry enough, thinking of pulling it out of the keg and adding a yeast to finish it up, its way to sweet! I did mash it at 154...

But the two i am more concerned about are my last two. I made a coffee stout @1083 mashed @150. Its two weeks in and is at 1030 and seems to have slowed to a halt. I am a little worried it wont dry out. I want to get down to 1020. Should i just give it more time?

Ferm temp was held at 65 for a week and pulled out of the temp controller to rise to 69 ambient temp in my house.

The next beer was a Belgian Golden Strong, made the same day as the Coffee with the same yeast. I added sugar to the beer after about three days, it seamed like it was slowing when i added it. fermentation picked up again and 3 days later it was slowing, so i added the last 1/2 of sugar at that point. It is two weeks in and seems like it has hit a wall, yeast is starting to settle. OG 1.107 Gravity as we speak 1.045 Mash temp 148.

Any Help or thoughts?

Old 12-05-2011, 10:38 AM   #60
Piratwolf
Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmurm
I am a little freaked out on the last 3 beers ive done with us 05. My ipa dident finish dry enough, thinking of pulling it out of the keg and adding a yeast to finish it up, its way to sweet! I did mash it at 154...

But the two i am more concerned about are my last two. I made a coffee stout @1083 mashed @150. Its two weeks in and is at 1030 and seems to have slowed to a halt. I am a little worried it wont dry out. I want to get down to 1020. Should i just give it more time?

Ferm temp was held at 65 for a week and pulled out of the temp controller to rise to 69 ambient temp in my house.

The next beer was a Belgian Golden Strong, made the same day as the Coffee with the same yeast. I added sugar to the beer after about three days, it seamed like it was slowing when i added it. fermentation picked up again and 3 days later it was slowing, so i added the last 1/2 of sugar at that point. It is two weeks in and seems like it has hit a wall, yeast is starting to settle. OG 1.107 Gravity as we speak 1.045 Mash temp 148.

Any Help or thoughts?
This isn't necessarily a lot of info to judge from effectively. There can be recipe causes for sweetness in an IPA.

As for the other two, Did you use starters for your stout & BGS? 1.083 and 1.107 are pretty big beers for a single packet of any yeast to tackle!!

jmendez29: Haha! I get it! :ban:
Wait. You're not talking about beer, right?
You're talking about beer. That could have been a whole lot more fun.

Quick Reply