Home Brew Forums

Home Brew Forums (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum.php)
-   Recipes/Ingredients (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/)
-   -   Safale S-33 Experience (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/safale-s-33-experience-100569/)

h1tman 01-29-2009 01:39 PM

Safale S-33 Experience
 
Just brewed up a wheat beer using S-33 and thought I should post my experience since I don't see alot of info out there.

The Basic Recipie is:

5lbs pilsner
5lbs Wheat
1lb C20

Mash 154

OG 1.055
FG 1.018

Anyways it's been in the primary for 10 days and is completely finished.

As reported in other threads it took off like a shot and was done fermenting in about 48hours.

I was hoping for a nice fruity component but It tastes a little like a Wit to me at this point. That may be due to low fermentation temps around 62*F. The beer is also very cloudy (not necessarily a bad thing) but seems to point to low floc. of the yeast.

Can't say I'm real happy with the outcome so far. I'll chime back in after it's been in the bottle for a few weeks.

I'm wondering what other experience with S33 has been?

Later
Seth

The Pol 01-29-2009 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by h1tman (Post 1098839)
Just brewed up a wheat beer using S-33 and thought I should post my experience since I don't see alot of info out there.

The Basic Recipie is:

5lbs pilsner
5lbs Wheat
1lb C20

Mash 154

OG 1.055
FG 1.018

Anyways it's been in the primary for 10 days and is completely finished.

As reported in other threads it took off like a shot and was done fermenting in about 48hours.

I was hoping for a nice fruity component but It tastes a little like a Wit to me at this point. That may be due to low fermentation temps around 62*F. The beer is also very cloudy (not necessarily a bad thing) but seems to point to low floc. of the yeast.

Can't say I'm real happy with the outcome so far. I'll chime back in after it's been in the bottle for a few weeks.

I'm wondering what other experience with S33 has been?

Later
Seth


This is actually a good thing... right? In a wheat?

h1tman 01-29-2009 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Pol (Post 1098869)
This is actually a good thing... right? In a wheat?

Yeah no problem in wheat but I wasn't really expecting that.

brewt00l 01-29-2009 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by h1tman (Post 1098839)
I'm wondering what other experience with S33 has been?

Good middle of the road yeast with decent temp tolerance and mild esters. I've used it in several Robust Porters, Russian Imperials and IIPAs. I did the 888 RIS w/ S33.

Beernip 01-29-2009 07:06 PM

Just brewed a Belgium Strong ale with this and took off like crazy. After 24 hours the temps in my carboy jumped up to 76 deg (68 ambient temp) and now has dropped back down 66. After 4 days I've went from .074 to .025 and now no more bubbles. I'll take a another reading in a few day but hope ferms not stuck.

h1tman 01-30-2009 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beernip (Post 1099646)
Just brewed a Belgium Strong ale with this and took off like crazy. After 24 hours the temps in my carboy jumped up to 76 deg (68 ambient temp) and now has dropped back down 66. After 4 days I've went from .074 to .025 and now no more bubbles. I'll take a another reading in a few day but hope ferms not stuck.

Mine hasn't moved after the first 48 hours of fermentation. I've swirled the carboy and got temps up to around 68*F. You may try raising temp into the low 70's to see if that helps.

Beernip 02-08-2009 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by h1tman (Post 1101206)
Mine hasn't moved after the first 48 hours of fermentation. I've swirled the carboy and got temps up to around 68*F. You may try raising temp into the low 70's to see if that helps.

Yeah, after 1 1/2 weeks it's still stuck at 1.25. :confused: I've swirled the carboy 2-3 times and each time I get gas bubbles for a few days but it's not fermenting more. I'm just put in a cooler with water and an aquarium to see about getting it up to a constant 70 instead of the 65-66 it was sitting at.

Does anyone have any other suggestions for getting the fermentation started again? The final FG should be around 1.015-1.021 so am not sure if it's done or just stuck.

B-Dub 02-09-2009 05:32 AM

Might try a starter with T-58 and get the temp up to 75.

Cheap and easy way to see if is going to ferment any lower. The best part about the T58 is the low end temp is around 58 or so.

Let us know what you do and if it works.

mike_g08 02-09-2009 04:19 PM

My experiences with this yeast have been good, but I think my attenuation has ranged from about 65 to 70 percent - it is generally low-attenuating.

I think your ferment is not stuck, but actually "done"

Beernip 02-09-2009 08:00 PM

I halfway expect that the beer is done fermenting. It is a drinkable beer now but would like it to be a little dryer. I may just chalk this up to a "you should have made a starter stupid" mistake and bottle it in a few more weeks.


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:58 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.