Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Safale S-04: wtf?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2009, 07:33 AM   #1
robertjohnson
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Safale S-04: wtf?

I've been having problems with off-flavors from S-04. It tastes dirty and musty, almost like dry-rotted wood. It's the same exact flavor in only the batches fermented with this yeast and get more noticeable during the conditioning process. I even split a batch three-ways to check on yeast flavors and only this yeast produced them. I could describe all other controls I've used to isolate the flavor, but suffice it to say that it's definitely the yeast, not infection and not oxidation or anything else. So, what's up?

I've usually fermented this in the 67-71 range. It's a little high, but it didn't take off at all for me below 65 until I brought it back up to temperature. Others in the thread have said they've had success below 65, so I'm wondering what's up with my yeast handling...

I cool down boiled water to around 86-92, pitch the yeast into it according to the mr malty calculator, wait a while, then gradually add wort to bring them into equilibrium at my fermentation temps. I do the same thing for every yeast and feel like I've got the process nailed. Works for everything else. What else could it be with this yeast? I've heard Jamil say certain yeasts work better for certain set-ups but, come on, wood fungi!?!?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2009, 03:35 PM   #2
craven_morhead
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Hm... you're pitching fairly hot; maybe -04 doesn't handle hot pitching temps as well? I've gotten tasty beers out of it without any of the musty flavors, and my fermenting temps have been similar.

Primary: Cascade/Amarillo IPA

Old 09-01-2009, 03:49 PM   #3
mmb
FNG
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3204 Times on 3106 Posts
Likes Given: 181

Your "pitch" is your re-hydration process, correct?

You actually pitch to wort at the 68 - 71 temp, right?

I do S-04 at 65 - 68 but it's gone as high as low 70s without going musty/dusty or wood.

Old 09-01-2009, 03:54 PM   #4
menschmaschine
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 28 Posts

Your procedures seem sound. I've fermented S-04 at 71-72 before and never had these types of flavors. I know you said it's not an infection, but with the type of flavor you're getting and the fact that it gets worse during conditioning seems to point in that direction. It's worth reconsideration anyway.

END TRANSMISSION

Old 09-01-2009, 04:07 PM   #5
robertjohnson
Recipes 

Yeah, sorry, I pitch the yeast at fermentation temperature but rehydrate it at 86-92. I thought it was infection at first too, menschmaschine, but I've fermented multiple batches at once and the yeast is really the only common denominator. And it's been in every safale 04 batch. Here's what I'm thinking:

1. I also do long primaries and I'm wondering if maybe that has anything to do with it. Since it rips through fermentation fast and then flocculates really fast, it sits on the yeast cake for about two and a half weeks without much really going on. I haven't had any problems with this for any other yeasts, but this could be what's imparting that flavor. I don't know, would that make the difference? What sort of schedules do other people use with this?

2. I also condition at about 70-75* in my basement, so that could be it. That would also explain it showing up only after bottling. What temps are other people conditioning at?

If anyone lives in walla walla (doubtful), I'd gladly show what I'm talking about.

Old 09-01-2009, 04:37 PM   #6
bierhaus15
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I had previously stopped using s-04 as all my beers brewed with it had a distinct yeasty-tang that as you said, got stronger as it aged. I even entered one of the beers into a comp (it was a special bitter) to see what the judges thought. The beer scored a 33 and one of the judges commented that the beer tasted like I had used s04 and fermented it too high. He was right.

Now whenever I use s04 I ferment it as low as it will tolerate. No more off flavors.

Old 09-01-2009, 04:42 PM   #7
menschmaschine
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 28 Posts

Theoretically, if the fermented beer sits for a relatively long time and at relatively high temperatures on the cake, it could produce off-flavors from decaying yeast cells. Not autolysis, per se, but decaying yeast cells, which decay faster at higher temperatures. Perhaps S-04 is more prone to producing off-flavors in this way. You could contact Fermentis and see what they say.

END TRANSMISSION

Old 09-01-2009, 06:09 PM   #8
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I really think you need to keep this yeast on the cool side because it can get quite estery over 68*F in my experience.

By 67-71 do you mean room temp or actual fermenter temp? If you aren't using any fermentation temp control a 70*F room temp will be a 77*F ferment which will be quite estery with any ale strain.

My guess is that it's just really estery and you personally don't like the ester profile of the yeast, so I suggest using a different yeast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Old 09-02-2009, 02:48 AM   #9
robertjohnson
Recipes 

I ferment in a water bath that sits in a defunct refrigerator and base my temperature readings on the bath. I assume it can't be more than a few degrees warmer inside during active fermentation, and I only let it hit 70 after the krausen has subsided. I guess I could always get one of those strips to stick on your fermenter. In any case, I'll try one more batch with it (eventually) and keep it at 65.

Menschmachine: Yeah, I was thinking that since it ferments and flocculates so quickly that it might also be more prone to producing dead yeast flavors. I'll see if I can find anything out.

Old 09-02-2009, 02:57 AM   #10
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I like S-04... not A LOT, but I like it.

I keep the fermentation at about 65F, seems to work well.

I have never had the flavors that you describe... I use this yeast in my Ofest and Holiday Ales and they are both superbly malty and clean.

I second what Sacc. sayes... get it warm, 68F and up... and it will get a little English on ya!

Quick Reply