The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Saaz/Tettnang replacements?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2008, 10:59 PM   #11
andreiz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
I'd add about 1/2 of the amount the recipe called for, and about 1/2 the lactose and taste it. If it's not enough for you, you could add the rest. Once it's in there, though, you can't take it out.
Recipe calls for adding lactose @15 mins before flameout, so I guess I can taste it when it cools down?

Quote:
I know many people like this recipe, but it had WAY too much sugar and vanilla for me. It was like drinking cream soda with beer flavoring added. It was my only dumper batch. I did have a good friend who liked it, though, and drank about 1/2 of it herself.
I can understand being cautious with vanilla extract, but too much sugar? From what, DME?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2008, 11:05 PM   #12
boo boo
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreiz View Post
I want to brew this Vanilla Cream Ale recipe, but my LHBS (MoreBeer) is out of Saaz and Tettnang hops due to the shortage. They suggest using Santiam or Sterling instead of Saaz and Santiam, Sterling, or Vanguard instead of Tettnang. Would this be an ok replacement or would you recommend something else to keep as close as possible to that recipe?
Hallertau or Hersbrucker would be my sub for saaz although I would say there is NO substitute for saaz.

How do you BBQ an elephant....first you get your elephant....

Old 11-12-2008, 11:09 PM   #13
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 125

1) You can either add the lactose during the boil as mentioned, or you can boil it seperately in a pint or two of water, and add until it tastes "right" to you. Yooper is referring to the second method.
(1b. If you are sensitive to lactose at all, you might want to err on the light side. Excessive lactose consumption in sensitive G.I. systems can cause the bad-news browns.)

2. Yooper is referring to the taste itself - way too much sugar and vanilla taste. There isn't actually extra sugar added in, except for the lactose itself (backsweetener) and whatever trace amounts might be in the vanilla extract.

Excluding the Lactose, it's all malt-based sweetness.

I might try to come up with my own Caramel Vanilla sometime this winter. As I said prior, this recipe just kind of fell flat in my tastes and in my opinion. I've always wanted to one-up it - you know, for the challenge of "Can I make this better?", the personal challenge of "Can I replicate these tastes?".

One thing's for sure. My recipe probably wouldn't wind up having an extract version - a minimash maybe would work - Cuz it would be loaded to the hilt with a bajillion different specialty grains to build complexity.

To answer your original question, from what you said was available, I would do 0.5 oz Vanguard at 60 minutes, and that's all.

Chriso || SMaSH Brewers, Unite! || Nebraska Brewers! || Lincoln Lagers Brew Club
"You have just experienced the paradigm shift that is....all grain brewing." - BierMuncher

Old 11-13-2008, 01:10 AM   #14
andreiz
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriso View Post
(1b. If you are sensitive to lactose at all, you might want to err on the light side. Excessive lactose consumption in sensitive G.I. systems can cause the bad-news browns.)
I'm not sensitive to lactose myself, but the drinkers of my beers might be.

Quote:
One thing's for sure. My recipe probably wouldn't wind up having an extract version - a minimash maybe would work - Cuz it would be loaded to the hilt with a bajillion different specialty grains to build complexity.
Looking forward to it.

Old 11-13-2008, 03:50 AM   #15
Mutilated1
Beer Drenched Executioner

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I used Sterling as a replacement for those hops last year when they were hard to get and I was delighted with how well the beers turned out.

Old 11-13-2008, 07:10 AM   #16
Piotr
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I doubt you have acess to Polish hops, but:

Saaz = Lublin
Tettnag ~= Marynka

Old 11-13-2008, 01:21 PM   #17
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr View Post
I doubt you have acess to Polish hops, but:

Saaz = Lublin
Tettnag ~= Marynka
Actually, both are available from Austin Homebrew.

Chriso || SMaSH Brewers, Unite! || Nebraska Brewers! || Lincoln Lagers Brew Club
"You have just experienced the paradigm shift that is....all grain brewing." - BierMuncher

Old 11-13-2008, 01:27 PM   #18
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4202 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreiz View Post

I can understand being cautious with vanilla extract, but too much sugar? From what, DME?
Chriso answered this- but it was the lactose. Lactose IS sugar. It's just an unfermentable sugar. It's milk sugar, and I found it cloyingly sweet.

I think Mutilated is right- Sterling would be a decent sub here. It's like a "noble" hop, and would be fine.

Quick Reply