*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > s-05 vs Notty

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2009, 04:18 AM   #1
TacoGuthrie
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default s-05 vs Notty

In my short time I've only brewed with Nottingham. The reason for this is because it was what was called for in my first two recipes and then the last couple of batches it is what my LHBS carries.

Looking through these pages I see a lot of folks use Safale-05, especially for Pale Ales and IPAs, which is mostly what i brew. Now i've ordered some S-05 online.

I'm just wondering what the difference between the two will be? Like, if i brew a pretty standard AIPA recipe would the beer be noticeable different if I used S-05 instead of Notty?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2009, 04:24 AM   #2
NikolausXX
Recipes 

Yes, the safe ale is american ale yeast, nottingham is english ale yeast and will have more english type esters. Safe ale 05 will be more clean fermentation, and I would suspect would ferment a little dryer also.

Primary- Jamils Pale ale with crystal
Kegged- Apfelwein (almost gone)
Ageing- Joam Mead

Old 04-15-2009, 04:24 AM   #3
isac777
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Is 05 the pink package? I think it is. I seem to like it better at times than notty. My Ipa i made a ten gallon batch-did 5and5 notty and safale and the pink stuff seemed to finish a little cleaner. They are both great dry yeast in my opinion. you could always try innoculating 2.5 gal each splitting the yeast in half and trying both. PEPSI CHALLENGE BRO!(assuming you do 5 gal batches)

Old 04-15-2009, 04:28 AM   #4
SumnerH
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoGuthrie View Post
In my short time I've only brewed with Nottingham. The reason for this is because it was what was called for in my first two recipes and then the last couple of batches it is what my LHBS carries.

Looking through these pages I see a lot of folks use Safale-05, especially for Pale Ales and IPAs, which is mostly what i brew. Now i've ordered some S-05 online.

I'm just wondering what the difference between the two will be? Like, if i brew a pretty standard AIPA recipe would the beer be noticeable different if I used S-05 instead of Notty?
Yes, it would. Though notty's pretty dry for an English yeast. But for an AIPA, S-05 would be better; for a traditional IPA or a modern wimpy British IPA, S04 or notty or Wyeast 1028 or another British yeast would be better, depending on what flavor you're going for.

The yeast you use and the temperature that you ferment at can potentially impact your beer's flavor just as much as the grains or hops you choose.

On deck: Little Bo Pils, Bretta Off Dead (Brett pale)
Secondary: Oude Bruin, Red Sky at Morning (Sour brown ale)
On tap: Saison Duphunk (sour), Amarillo Slim (IPA), Earl White (ginger/bergamot wit)
Bottled: Number 8 (Belgian Strong Dark Ale), Eternale (Barleywine), Ancho Villa (Ancho/pasilla/chocolate/cinnamon RIS), Oak smoked porter (1/2 maple bourbon oaked, 1/2 apple brandy oaked)

Old 04-15-2009, 04:28 AM   #5
TacoGuthrie
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikolausXX View Post
Yes, the safe ale is american ale yeast, nottingham is english ale yeast and will have more english type esters. Safe ale 05 will be more clean fermentation, and I would suspect would ferment a little dryer also.
the way i understand it English type esters are kind of fruity?

Also I've seen the term 'clean fermentation' a few times but don't quite understand it. In the end, does it make the beer taste or look different?

Old 04-15-2009, 04:44 AM   #6
isac777
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

clean fermentation... let me try my hand at this. Have you ever had a hef that tasted real strong of banana, clove etc? well that would be a example not so much clean fermentation. Where as a pyramid hef is cleaner. Clean to me means free of any strong "off" flavors. Maybe also "mainstream" likes a clean fermentation. Feel free to correct me HBT nuts!!!

Old 04-15-2009, 04:52 AM   #7
ifishsum
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I brewed a few batches with Notty before it became hard to find last year - switched to Safale US-05 and have been very happy with the results. Not a very big difference, but I've mostly stayed with the 05 even though Notty is plentiful again.

Clean pretty much means that the yeast is not contributing much flavor at all to the beer - Notty is pretty clean too but US-05 fermented in the low to mid 60s is about as clean and neutral as it gets IMO. Great for lighter American styles where you want to taste only the malt and hops themselves.

Not all yeast flavors are "off" flavors...in fact most strains of yeast are cultured to produce certain esters for certain styles. In isac777's hefeweizen example, those banana and clove flavors are very desirable if you're following the German style (which I much prefer over the rather plain tasting American hefeweizen). But in general, Americans tend to prefer the cleaner, more neutral taste.

Primary 2: Edwort's Robust Porter
Secondary 1: LW Pale Ale
Secondary 1: Blackened Soul RIS
Kegged: Dead Guy Ale
Kegged: Rye Pale Ale
Kegged: Haus Pale Ale
Kegged: Nut Brown Ale
Kegged: Afrikan Amber
Kegged: Jock Scott Ale
Kegged: Afrikan Amber

Last edited by ifishsum; 04-15-2009 at 04:58 AM.

Old 04-15-2009, 04:53 AM   #8
jmo88
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Though notty is English, it won't have those typical esters. For that try safale 04 or Windsor. Notty and 05 are basically interchangeable in my recipes. I need to account for notty's near 90% attenuation though. It finishes very dry. I get about 80% attenuation with 05. Flavor, to me, is basically the same.

Old 04-15-2009, 12:29 PM   #9
calpyro
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikolausXX View Post
In my testing with both Nottingham and 05, I have found the oppisite results. In seveal side by side tests, the Nottinham fermented drier each time. Additionally, despite being an "English" yeast, it is very neutral.
I feel very comfortable using Nottingham whenever a dry, neutral flavor is desired.

Old 04-15-2009, 12:34 PM   #10
calpyro
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoGuthrie View Post

The difference will be very little. If you are trying to make the beer drier, continue to use Nottinham. If you want to make an Imperial IPA, the Nottinham cannot be beat in it's ability to ferment big beers out nice and dry. Use the yeast calculator here to get proper pitching rates: Mr Malty Pitching Rate Calculator

Quick Reply