Rye IPA recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

randomrules

Reaction score
Hi,
I plan on making a Rye IPA this evening. I want it to be hoppy and don't want too much rye. How does this look?

Type: BIAB
Batch Size: 13.60 l
Boil Size: 26.18 l
Boil Time: 90 min
Est Original Gravity: 1.060 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.016 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.8 %
Bitterness: 92.5 IBUs
Est Color: 22.8 EBC

3.00 kg Pale Malt (2 Row) 75.0 %
0.50 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L 12.5 %
0.50 kg Rye Malt 12.5%
30.00 g Magnum - Boil 60.0 min
10.00 g Centennial - Boil 30.0 min
20.00 g Chinook - Boil 30.0 min
10.00 g Centennial - Boil 5.0 min
10.00 g Chinook - Boil 5.0 min
1.0 pkg California Ale (White Labs #WLP001)
20.00 g Centennial - Dry Hop 7.0 Days
20.00 g Chinook - Dry Hop 7.0 Days

Any feedback appreciated.

Looks pretty good, but I would wonder about a couple of your choices. You are using 60L crystal and your color is far darker than one would expect for an IPA. I would use a lighter crystal malt. For my Rye Pale Ale, I use crystal 20L and it is only 4.5% of the grist.

I also wonder about your hop combinations. Your bitterness is out of regular IPA range and up into IIPA range. That is fine, if it is what you want. I just wonder if those three hops were chosen and combined for any reason other than maxing out IBU's. I can't think of any other reason to use all three together. Most of my beers have a single type of hops throughout, or they use two--a bittering and an aroma hop. But I understand this is just my preference and no where close to "the right way to brew." I just always ask myself "Why should I put this in here and is there any good reason to leave it out?"

Thanks for your reply. The crystal was chosen because it is all I have unfortunately. Maybe I should leave it out?

Yep, pretty much just to max out the IBU. Perhaps I will change them a bit.

I am just near the end of a boil of my Rye IPA right now. I like the combo of Chinook and Centennial in a Rye IPA. That is what I am using right now.

I would lower the C60 and up the Rye to 20%. But that is my taste. The recioe I am brewing right now does have some C60 but only 4% and 20% rye. I have brewed it several times and everyone likes it.

I would lower the C60 and up the Rye to 20%.

My thinking exactly. Although I have occasionally gone up to one lb of C-60 per 5gal in an IPA (like Denny's celebration clone), IME it doesn't come out as sweet as using that much of a lower lovibond crystal. I also like the chinook/centennial combo, haven't used it in a rye beer yet but I would expect it to be very nice.

If you can't use a lighter color crystal you should just use less. Also, I agree with the guys about increasing the rye. I didn't mention it earlier because you said you wanted a low amount of rye flavor. To me it is very hard to have too much rye flavor. My rye pale ale uses almost 23 percent malted rye.

I use close on 30% rye malt with 10% crystal wheat and they go together very well. Add to this HUGE hop flavour/aroma and you are on to a winner.
The colour be damned!

Back