Rye IPA Attempt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tominator

Reaction score
Hi all! gonna try to brew this weekend. i used denny conn's rye ipa as a starting point. my system is a 3gal BIAB, so if the weights seem low, that's why. lmk if anything stands out as odd. i think it should be pretty decent. I'm doing single stage/no secondary, dry-hopping at 1 wk, cold crashing at 2 weeks, bottle conditioning, drinking at 3 weeks (hopefully )

thx for any input!

Tominator

Tom's Rye IPA - BIAB 3g
American IPA
Type: All Grain
Batch Size (fermenter): 3.00 gal

Ingredients
5lbs 8oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) 66.7 %
1lbs 12oz Rye Malt (4.7 SRM) 21.2 %
4.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) 3.0 %
4.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) 3.0 %
4.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) 3.0 %
4.0 oz Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM) 3.0 %

0.75 oz Warrior [15.00 %] - First Wort 60.0 min 41.6 IBUs
0.25 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Boil 20.0 min 10.7 IBUs
0.25 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 20.0 min 4.6 IBUs
0.25 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min 4.6 IBUs
0.25 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min 6.4 IBUs
0.25 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min 2.5 IBUs
0.25 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min 3.5 IBUs
0.25 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min 0.0 IBUs
0.25 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min 0.0 IBUs
0.25 oz Falconers [11.40 %] - Boil 0.0 min 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) [35.49 ml] Yeast
1.00 oz Falconers [11.40 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days 0.0 IBUs
0.50 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days 0.0 IBUs
0.50 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days 0.0 IBUs

Beer Profile
Est Original Gravity: 1.072 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.019 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 8.0 % Bitterness: 65.8 IBUs Est Color: 10.5 SRM

Mash Profile Mash Name: BIAB, Medium Body

14% of crystal/cara malts is an awful lot in an IPA in my opinion. I like much much less, if any, and even in a rye IPA I like no more than about 5-7% total. I'd cut that a bit.

I like the hopping, although columbus can be perceived as harsh by some and so it may be a few more weeks for that to mellow a bit.

thx yooper! i was a bit concerned about the crystal so i wouldn't mind backing it off a bit. i also have some falconers flight i'll add to the dry-hop, maybe it will tame the dank :)

I did a Denny Conns RIPA earlier this year and thought it could have used more IBU's. Leter I tweaked the recipe and used 25% rye in my grainbill (used rice hulls in this one) and substituted some of the crystal with Cara-amber which I thought gave it a nicer body.
I love Rye in beer, good luck :)

Lower the OG and/or add more late hops (20-0). You'll want to do one or the other for a Standard IPA, or Double IPA if that's your goal.

The dryhop should be good enough as is.

Nix the carapils completely. Maybe substitute 3-5% flaked rye, instead of flaked wheat, for that added rye character without sacrificing head retention.

Second everyone's advice thus far. I also like around 20-30% rye but at that point definitely get some rice hulls just as insurance.

This is just a general question to all out there who like and brew Rye beers: what type/brand of rye is your favorite? Breiss? Weyermann (sp?)? Flaked Rye? Other?

I use Briess rye malt (usually) for my domestic rye beers. It seems to have more flavor that continental rye malts I've tried. Don't much care for flaked rye.

Hey denny, thx for dropping in! I appreciate the input! I have a few more days before brewing so it's possible that this will change slightly: more rye, less 2-row, etc. but I think I have it the way I want it. It's my first rye. What's the worst that could happen lol

Btw denny, if I could ask for advice: this recipe has both flaked wheat and carapils. Are they both being used mainly for body and head retention? And if so, why use both? Variety?

k. edited again. i think this is the one i'm going with. i dropped the 2-row and gravity/alcohol a tad, which resulted in higher bitterness and rye percentage. i'm gonna go for it. i can always tweak it again. i might go with 1oz each of cent/col/falconers as dryhop, but i have a week to think about it :) many many many thx as always for everyone's input and views.

Nice, I like your addition of vienna. when I set out to make mine I wanted a tried and true recipe since I've never made one and only had a sip of someone else's. I have a basic expectation of these ingredients and I love how a even a small change can make a huge difference. Cheers!

Btw denny, if I could ask for advice: this recipe has both flaked wheat and carapils. Are they both being used mainly for body and head retention? And if so, why use both? Variety?

My recipe should include maltd wheat and carapils. I originally added them for head retention, but have since learned that they're not necessary. You can get great head retention just from correct brewing practices. But I've left them in because why mess with success?

update for anyone interested: sampled today, 5 days after pitching. 1.012fg, and i'll be dryhopping tomorrow night. tasted the sample and it's a nice dry bitter IPA for sure. the rye character is there but is subtle. if i didn't know it was rye i might not realize it, but you definitely know there's something interesting goin on :) i'm quite pleased. can't wait to taste it outta the bottle in 2 weeks...... sigh.......

Hey Denny thx for the inspiration cuz damn, this beer is wonderful. I had an issue with carbonation/bottle conditioning - some bottles were flat, but the ones that carbd correctly were delightful. Definitely brewing this again

brewed up a big batch of this beer this sunday. looking very forward to drinking in a few weeks :)

So here is the latest for anyone still interested :) this beer now has a name, ”13”, as it was the 13th batch I ever brewed. I entered it into our competition and it took first place in 23a specialty beer, and went on to take 3rd best of show. the ribbons are cool but now this is my favorite beer to brew and to drink. The latest batch is amarillo dry-hopped and is wonderful.

Again many thx to denny for the inspiration, and thx to this forum for all the advice and encouragement!

Back