Will work for beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony
Man, you hit the nail on the head with this post for sure! It definately is a life changing beer, as ever since my first bottle, I have cloned it many, many times, and no matter what, there has to be a cornie, carboy or bucket with some in it at all times. I love Hop Rod Rye more than any other brew.

I have one dry hopping right now... Opps...I need to get another grain bill together for another batch!
Yep, and I can't believe Sam or I haven't cloned it yet.
We both had the same reaction to it the first time we had some. When we got to have it on tap at the beer conference in Baltimore last summer, it was even better!

If I do a rye, I'll probably do Denny Conn's recipe. I've heard nothign but great stuff about that beer.

Tony, I wish I had some bottled beers to swap with you. I'd love to try your rye. Maybe I'll bottle up some of my latest Fat Tire clone and we'll swap?
Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2005, 06:26 AM   #22
Tony

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Sounds good to me, I would be glad to. I just ordered a Beer Gun, and will be making up singles from all my bathces as soon as I get it.

Dead Soldier:Hop Rod Rye Stout
Dead Soldier: Imperial Hell Fire Ale

Old 12-31-2005, 06:55 PM   #23
DeRoux's Broux

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORRELSE
Yep, and I can't believe Sam or I haven't cloned it yet.
We both had the same reaction to it the first time we had some. When we got to have it on tap at the beer conference in Baltimore last summer, it was even better!

If I do a rye, I'll probably do Denny Conn's recipe. I've heard nothign but great stuff about that beer.

Tony, I wish I had some bottled beers to swap with you. I'd love to try your rye. Maybe I'll bottle up some of my latest Fat Tire clone and we'll swap?
awe man, it was good! drank my hop rod and the racer 5 last night. I NEED MORE!!!! my next batch for sure!

Cheers!
DeRoux's Broux

Old 12-31-2005, 10:12 PM   #24
Denny's Evil Concoctions
Grande Megalomaniac

Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 42 Posts

Thanks guys.

I made 10 gallons with the following recipe:

Pale Malt - 4.14 Kg
Munich - .94 Kg
Crystal 60 - 1.06 Kg
Flaked Rye - 1.8 Kg
Flaked Barley - .94 Kg

Columbus - FWH - 1 oz
Goldings - FWH - 1 oz
Goldings - 15 - .5 oz
Goldings - Dry - .75 oz

Mashed at 158F

90 minute Boil.

I've realized my Mashtun needs to be bigger for 10 Gallon batches, or at least nay with flakes of any kind. The flakes swelled up bigger than all the rest of the malt combined..leading to a stuck mash, which I fixed by dividing the mash into two parts, but what a pain!

I realized that I didn't have quite enough for a 10 gallon batch to reach the OG I wanted so I added the Barley flake.

OG was 1.054
IBU 47
SRM 11.2

I was batch sparging and I took the third runnings and made a 1.032 OG 5 gallon batch as a "lighter" beer.
60 min boil:
.35 oz - Columbus - FWH
.5 oz - Goldings - 15
.25 - Goldings - Dry Hop

Used Nottingham for all above.

I may not be an expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express........ 6 months ago.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/denn...9/#post1766281

http://groups.homebrewtalk.com/Tapro...ook_Repository

Last edited by Denny's Evil Concoctions; 12-31-2005 at 10:17 PM.

Old 01-14-2006, 02:56 PM   #25
Dude
Will work for beer

Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Sorry if it is already discussed somewhere--but is flaked rye and rye malt the same thing? I know it is still rye, but will the flaked Do the same thing in a beer as far as flavor?
All my HBS has is flaked. I wasn't sure so I didn't get it.

Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 01-14-2006, 09:12 PM   #26
Denny's Evil Concoctions
Grande Megalomaniac

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORRELSE
Sorry if it is already discussed somewhere--but is flaked rye and rye malt the same thing? I know it is still rye, but will the flaked Do the same thing in a beer as far as flavor?
All my HBS has is flaked. I wasn't sure so I didn't get it.

Supposedly its pretty close, just no enzymes. But as one pale malt differs from another, I'm sure it depends on the source etc.

I can't find any rye malt either. I'd like to see the difference too. There's a HBS store in Vancouver that is linked to a microbrew next door. They seem to carry everything but Rye malt, rice hulls and lactose.

I may not be an expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express........ 6 months ago.

Old 01-16-2006, 02:48 AM   #27
Janx

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts

Flaked is pre-gelatinized I believe. And of course it's smushed so it looks like oatmeal. So, it's not malted, but it's water soluble.

That's funny. I can always find malted rye, but just recently came across the flaked at Beverage People. I don't even think morebeer had it (though that's hard to imagine). You can definitely get the malted rye from morebeer.

And as far as hops, Tomahawk is just a trade name for Columbus that someone owns. It's the same stuff. The alpha bomb

Cheers

Won't you pour me one more of that sinful Old Janx Spirit

Old 01-16-2006, 07:16 AM   #28
wild
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Exerpt from BYO:
Commercially available forms of rye.
Whole rye berries can be used, but they must be cracked first and then cooked in a cereal cooker for gelatinization. The cereal should be heated and stirred until it stops thickening (an indication that most of the starches have been exploded) and then added to the mash. Using this several-step process not only adds preparation time to the brewing process, but, compared to using rye flakes, whole-grain rye tends to increase runoff and sparge times because the cracked rye is quite sticky and doesn't dissolve in solution as readily as commercially available rye flakes.
Rolled rye, available in bulk at health food stores and grain suppliers, is also a fine, inexpensive form of rye. During the rolling process, the rye is flattened under hot, heavy rollers. The heat and pressure from the rollers gelatinizes the rye starch, thus eliminating the need for precooking the rye. Rolled rye makes a good, readily available adjunct, which is why so many brewers began their first rye beer experiments with it.
Roasted rye, more difficult to find but available through specialty stores such as Liberty Malt Supply (Seattle), provide yet another option for experimentation.
Rye malt adds a distinct flavor to the brew. Malting modifies the rye grain in a way that eliminates some of the unwanted effects that are present when using unmalted rye. According to the authors of a study published in Crop Science, "Such a qualitative modification apparently cannot be accomplished by enzymes from the malted barley when they act on unmalted rye" (1).
Rye flakes may provide the most trouble-free source of rye for your recipe; rye flakes available from Briess Malting Company (Chilton, Wisconsin) disintegrate readily and can be obtained through homebrew supply stores.
As demand increases, the varieties, forms, and sources of rye will likely also increase; rye beer pioneer Grant Johnston has already experimented with a smoked rye, pushing even further the possibilities of taste and color. Ultimately, market demand will dictate the general availability of the various strains and forms of rye. Increased interest in rye should motivate suppliers to diversify and expand their rye stock. For now, at least, there is enough rye and resourcefulness to keep most brewers busy for some time.

Wild
  3. Robust Porter
  4. Russian Imperial Stout
  5. Mirror Pond Clone dry hopped with Citra
  6. Mirror Pond Clone dry hopped with Centennial
Primary - Nada
Secondary -
From man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world. -- Saint Arnoldus

Old 01-16-2006, 10:16 AM   #29
Denny's Evil Concoctions
Grande Megalomaniac

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild
Rye malt adds a distinct flavor to the brew. Malting modifies the rye grain in a way that eliminates some of the unwanted effects that are present when using unmalted rye. According to the authors of a study published in Crop Science, "Such a qualitative modification apparently cannot be accomplished by enzymes from the malted barley when they act on unmalted rye" (1).
I wonder what those "unwanted effects" are?

Old 01-16-2006, 12:21 PM   #30
wild
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I've wondered too. So far each time I've used rye, the result had been terrific. (Knock on wood)

Wild

3. Robust Porter
  4. Russian Imperial Stout
  5. Mirror Pond Clone dry hopped with Citra
  6. Mirror Pond Clone dry hopped with Centennial
Primary - Nada
Secondary -
From man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world. -- Saint Arnoldus

Quick Reply