Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Rye and Hops

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2005, 04:09 PM   #11
DeRoux's Broux
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

byo had an issue of the 13 biggest hop beer clones. Hop Rod Rye and Racer 5 IPA were two from Bear Republic listed. it came from the brewer too, so it's legit, i suppose.....

Cheers!
DeRoux's Broux

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2005, 04:23 PM   #12
Rhoobarb

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I did my version of Janx' recipe last May and only have two 22-oz. bottles left. It's interesting how the flavor has changed over time. At first, the hop flavor bordered on harsh and grassy. After a month, it mellowed considerably. I had one over the weekend and now that nearly seven months have passed since brewing this, it seems to be at it's peak!

I plan to do the AG recipe exactly as he did it, now that I have the hops in my inventory. Probably brew it late Janurary '06 for prime consumption this summer.

Last edited by Rhoobarb; 12-31-2005 at 03:52 AM.

Old 12-28-2005, 05:00 PM   #13
casebrew
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I've made 8 AG batches this year, all were 20% rye. 2# of malted rye, and 1 1/2 rice hulls. I only had 1 stuck sparge- the clerk at the HBS told me he layered the separatly mashed rye into the lauter tun. So i mixed it with my big spoon.

I do get quite a lot of starch/gum though. Too bad I've ground my grist together for my next batch...I'll try boiling the rye before mashing on the next batch. And maybe just a teaspoon of caraway?

Old 12-28-2005, 05:00 PM   #14
DeRoux's Broux

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

brewsmith and i exchanged some brews, and he sent me a Hop Rod Rye, a Racer 5 IPA, and a Stone Ruination IPA for me to try. it's supposed to be delivered today, so i can't wait to try it. i've been wanting to brew a hop rod, but i like to taste the brew before i clone it. this could be my hook?!?!?!?!

Cheers!
DeRoux's Broux

Old 12-28-2005, 05:21 PM   #15
Dude
Will work for beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeRoux's Broux
brewsmith and i exchanged some brews, and he sent me a Hop Rod Rye, a Racer 5 IPA, and a Stone Ruination IPA for me to try. it's supposed to be delivered today, so i can't wait to try it. i've been wanting to brew a hop rod, but i like to taste the brew before i clone it. this could be my hook?!?!?!?!
Dude, you are going to love the Hop Rod. That is one of those rare life changing beers. You'll just sit back and say WOW.

My last bottle disappeared mysteriously.
Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 12-28-2005, 05:42 PM   #16
Kaiser

Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORRELSE
Ingredients: Malted rye typically constitutes 50% or greater of the grist (some versions have 60-65% rye). Remainder of grist can include pale malt, Munich malt, wheat malt, crystal malt and/or small amounts of debittered dark malts for color adjustment. Weizen yeast provides distinctive banana esters and clove phenols. Light usage of noble hops in bitterness, flavor and aroma. Lower fermentation temperatures accentuate the clove character by suppressing ester formation. Decoction mash commonly used (as with weizenbiers).
I think it's the decoction that makes the difference when it comes to sparging the mash. They make for a less viscous mash that is more easily sparged.

Old 12-28-2005, 05:52 PM   #17
DeRoux's Broux

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai
I think it's the decoction that makes the difference when it comes to sparging the mash. They make for a less viscous mash that is more easily sparged.
yep, i've read that too. never done a decoction mash, but it makes sense....

orrelse, i need a life changing beer. kinda been in a rut. wish it came delivered chilled!

Cheers!
DeRoux's Broux

Old 12-29-2005, 01:52 PM   #18
cbotrice
Recipes 

Here are Dennis Conn's RYE IPA recipes, all grain and extract.

DC's Rye IPA – All Grain Recipe1
O.G.: 1.073
F.G.: 1.013
IBU: 68

9.5 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row)
2.5 lbs. Rye Malt
1.0 lbs. Crystal 60L
0.5 lbs. Cara-Pils Dextrine Malt
0.5 lbs. Wheat Malt

1.0 oz. Mt. Hood, 4.9% Alpha Acid, First Wort Hop
1.0 oz. Columbus, 17.8% Alpha Acid, 60 min.
0.5 oz. Mt. Hood, 4.9% Alpha Acid, 30 min.
1.5 oz. Mt. Hood, 4.9% Alpha Acid, 0 min.
1.0 oz.oz. Columbus, 17.8% Alpha Acid, Dry Hop

BrewTek CL-50 California Pub Brewery Ale Yeast or Wyeast 1272 American Ale Yeast II

1 tsp. Gypsum
1 tsp. Irish Moss

Mash grains at 153o F for 60 minutes. Mash out at 170o F and sparge with 170o F water. Collect enough run off to end up with 5 gallons after a 70-minute boil. Add first wort hops and gypsum and bring to a boil. Boil for 10 minutes then add second hop addition. Boil 30 minutes more and add next hop addition. Boil 20 minutes more then add Irish moss. After a 70-minute boil, turn of burner and add 1.5 oz. of Mt. Hood hops. Chill to below 65o F, transfer to fermenter, pitch yeast and aerate well. Ferment at 62-65o F until fermentation is complete. Rack to secondary fermenter with dry hops and age for a week. Bottle with 0.75 cups of corn sugar.
DC's Rye IPA – Mini-Mash/Extract Recipe

4.25 lbs. Light Dry Malt Extract
2.5 lbs. Pale Malt (2-row)
2.5 lbs. Rye Malt
1.0 lbs. Crystal 60L
0.5 lbs. Cara-Pils Dextrine Malt
0.5 lbs. Wheat Malt

1.0 oz. Mt. Hood, 4.9% Alpha Acid, First Wort Hop
1.33 oz. Columbus, 17.8% Alpha Acid, 60 min.
0.5 oz. Mt. Hood, 4.9% Alpha Acid, 30 min.
1.5 oz. Mt. Hood, 4.9% Alpha Acid, 0 min.
1.0 oz. Columbus, 17.8% Alpha Acid, Dry Hop

BrewTek CL-50 California Pub Brewery Ale Yeast or Wyeast 1272 American Ale Yeast II

1 tsp. Gypsum
1 tsp. Irish Moss

The rye and wheat malt in this recipe must be mashed, so this extract recipe incorporates a mini-mash. Heat 8.5 quarts of water to 167o F, then add crushed grains. Stir well to distribute heat. Temperature should stabilize at about 153 o F. Wrap a towel around the pot and set aside for an hour. Heat mini-mash to 170o F then pour into a strainer. Rinse with 170o F water, collecting approximately 3 gallons of wort. Stir in extract and add first wort hops and gypsum and bring to a boil. Boil for 10 minutes then add second hop addition. Boil 30 minutes more and add next hop addition. Boil 20 minutes more then add Irish moss. After a 70-minute boil, turn of burner and add 1.5 oz. of Mt. Hood hops. Transfer to fermenter filled with 2.5 gallons of cold water (top-up to 5 gallons if necessary). When temperature drops below 65o F, pitch yeast and aerate well. Ferment at 62-65o F until fermentation is complete. Rack to secondary fermenter with dry hops and age for a week. Bottle with 0.75 cups of corn sugar.

Old 12-30-2005, 08:33 AM   #19
wild
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

For Roggen Bier I used Perle and Czech Saaz. For American Rye I used Columbus and Cascade. Before brewing with rye, I read this article.

Wild
  3. Robust Porter
  4. Russian Imperial Stout
  5. Mirror Pond Clone dry hopped with Citra
  6. Mirror Pond Clone dry hopped with Centennial
Primary - Nada
Secondary -
From man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world. -- Saint Arnoldus

Old 12-31-2005, 03:40 AM   #20
Tony

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORRELSE
Dude, you are going to love the Hop Rod. That is one of those rare life changing beers. You'll just sit back and say WOW...
Man, you hit the nail on the head with this post for sure! It definately is a life changing beer, as ever since my first bottle, I have cloned it many, many times, and no matter what, there has to be a cornie, carboy or bucket with some in it at all times. I love Hop Rod Rye more than any other brew.

I have one dry hopping right now... Opps...I need to get another grain bill together for another batch!
Dead Soldier:Hop Rod Rye Stout
Dead Soldier: Imperial Hell Fire Ale

Quick Reply