rye flakes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From the Northern Brewer HBS web site:
Grain Adjuncts
Grain adjuncts require mashing. Flaked adjuncts are pre-gelatinized, require no pre-cooking, and can be added directly to the mash. Torrefied grains are also pre-gelatinized and serve much the same function as flakes. They need to be crushed before adding to the mash.

Flaked Barley. Lends a rich grainy taste and increased head retention, creaminess, and body. Can make up to 40% of grist.

#G601 Flaked Barley
$1.50
LBS

Flaked Oats. Use up to 30% of grist total for a distinct full-bodied flavor and creamy texture.

#G603 Flaked Oats
$1.50
LBS

Flaked Wheat. Greatly increases head retention and body at as low as 8% of the grist; can make up to 40% of grist.

#G606 Flaked Wheat
$1.50
LBS

Flaked Rye. Lends dry, crisp character and strong rye flavor. Use 5-10%.

#G605 Flaked Rye
$1.50
LBS

Flaked Maize. Adds depth of character to light beers in small quantities. Can be used for up to 40% of grist total.

#G602 Flaked Maize
$1.50
LBS

Flaked Rice. Provides a light, crisp finish to beers. Can make up to 25% of the grist.

#G604 Flaked Rice
$1.50
LBS

As long as this is the type of flaked rye you're talking about than yes you can just mash it with your other grains. It does not have it's own enzyems to convert.

Someone else will have to give a definitive answer as to the malt issue but my hunch is that steam flaked rye will not give the same flavor profile as a rye malt and if the recipe calls for rye malt, I'd find it someplace.

Excellent link Scott!!!

Im a rye beer lover for sure. I love the taste and texture of all the beers Ive brewed using both malted rye and flaked rye together. The quality of the head, the spicy dry taste, and over all texture is, in my opinion, on of the best. For me, I use both no matter what. But thats me...lol

Also, Ive been very lucky to have not have had sparge problems when using both of these together in good quantities in my brews.

Rye IPA

I made up this recipe last night. I might use this for my fist AG attempt using a single infusion mash.

Look OK? I'm not sure if I can find rye malt locally, but rye flakes are available. I'll be buying grains from a brewpub, but I'm not sure if he has rye malt in his stock.

Code:
Rye IPA

Grain/Extract/Sugar

%     Amount     Name                          Origin        Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
 56.0     7.00 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row)              Great Britain  1.038      3
 16.0     2.00 lbs. Munich Malt                   Germany        1.037      8
 16.0     2.00 lbs. Rye Malt                      America        1.030      4
 12.0     1.50 lbs. Crystal 60L                   America        1.034     60

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount     Name                              Form    Alpha  IBU  Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
  0.75 oz.    Columbus                          Pellet  14.50  51.9  60 min.
  0.75 oz.    Goldings - B.C.                   Pellet   5.40   3.9  10 min.
  0.25 oz.    Goldings - B.C.                   Pellet   5.40   1.1  5 min.
  0.25 oz.    Columbus                          Pellet  14.50   2.9  5 min.

SRM: 14.2
IBU:  59.2

Est. OG: 1.068

Yeast
-----
WYeast 1968 London Extra Special Bitter

Since I can't get my grains until I can get a hold of the brewmaster at the one and only brewpub in the area, I'm going to brew an LME recipe Wednesday. (Dang, that guy is hard to catch!)

I'd like to add a bit of rye flake (available at the grocery store) to the recipe. Can Rye Flake be mashed on it's own? If so I'll mash it then add that wort to the LME wort and then boil.

Making a lager like ale and thought .5 lb of rye would make the flavor more unique.

It may add some flavor but most likely, it will make your beer cloudy due to starch inclusion and you will not get fermentable sugars out of it without enzyme conversion.

All you need is an equal amount of pale malt at water at a ratio of 1 qt / lb of grain and hold at 153 degrees for 1 hour.

This will convert the starches in the flaked rye into sugar and will increase your abv and prevent the cloudyness caused by starch.

I would recommend decocting (boiling) your rye, before mash time, for about 15 minutes in three quarts of water, then adding it to the mash. I've had a heck of a time with rye clogging the bazooka filter. I know rye flakes are supposed to be pre-glutanized, but 2 lbs? I wouldn't take the chance.

I've just had problems with rye malts and flakes turning the mash into a dough ball. Ever seen an 18 lb bran muffin?

Denny's Brew said:
OK, I'll try doing both of your suggestions.

I know Rye Malt has enzymes for conversion, but are you saying Rye flakes don't and need enzymes from the LME for conversion?

No, I'm not saying that at all. You need some pale malt for the enzymes.

From the Northern Brewer HBS web site:
Grain Adjuncts
Grain adjuncts require mashing. Flaked adjuncts are pre-gelatinized, require no pre-cooking, and can be added directly to the mash. Torrefied grains are also pre-gelatinized and serve much the same function as flakes. They need to be crushed before adding to the mash.

Back