Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > a rye bitter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2013, 04:24 AM   #1
signpost
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 449

Default a rye bitter

Well, here's the recipe, it's a partial mash:

fermentables:
2 lbs. Maris Otter
1 lb. Rye
8 oz. Crystal 60L
8 oz. Biscuit
6 oz. Chocolate

2 lb. Extra Light DME

hops:
0.3 oz Galena - 12% AA - 60 min. - 13 IBU
0.2 oz Galena - 12% AA - 20 min. - 5 IBU
1 oz. East Kent Goldings - 5% AA - 12 min. - 8 IBU
1 oz. East Kent Goldings - 5% AA - 5 min. - 4 IBU
0.5 oz. UK Bramling Cross - 6% AA - 2 min. - 1 IBU

0.5 oz. UK Bramling Cross - 6% AA - dry-hop - 7 days

Wyeast Yorkshire Ale Yeast (washed)- 0.75 L starter

stats:
OG 1.037
FG 1.010
ABV 3.6%

There it is. I brewed it a few weeks ago and it is still sitting in primary. Haven't done the dry-hopping yet. I'm thinking I might throw the extra Galena hops from the 1 oz. package in to dry-hop as well as the planned Bramling Cross. Who knows. Also, I missed my OG, because the crush wasn't the greatest on some of the grains. The lhbs does it all on one setting and a couple of the grains (especially noticed the rye) were a bit smaller and slipped through without getting cracked. So, I added some extra DME to make up for the loss. I am looking forward to having another session beer around, but much lower than 3.6% might have been too light.

Anyway, I'm really psyched to get this batch bottled up and taste it. I'll definitely do an update once it is finished.

Bottled - The Land of Pils and Honey, an imperial Saison with Clover Honey; a sour mashed Berliner Weisse; Cascade Pale Ale; Hop Wine - an Imperial India Pilsner Ale; Guajillo Ancho Brown Ale; Back To School Porter, an Imperial Robust Porter with vanilla beans added

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 05:51 AM   #2
lowtones84
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 192

Sounds pretty tasty, let us know how it comes out!

Old 01-27-2013, 01:34 AM   #3
signpost
Recipes 

I just kegged this batch the other day (first time kegging, W00T!!!). The gravity sample tasted pretty darn good. It's definitely got a strong hop bitterness to it, but I think it should have just enough malt along with the hop aroma and flavor to balance out the bitterness. I feel like the rye gives some good depth to the flavor, making it seem a little bigger than a normal standard bitter.

I'll definitely be back with more notes after it is carbed up and get a proper taste.

Bottled - The Land of Pils and Honey, an imperial Saison with Clover Honey; a sour mashed Berliner Weisse; Cascade Pale Ale; Hop Wine - an Imperial India Pilsner Ale; Guajillo Ancho Brown Ale; Back To School Porter, an Imperial Robust Porter with vanilla beans added

Old 01-27-2013, 01:51 AM   #4
gpack
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Rye in a Bitter is great. I love it. I am drinking my Rye ESB as we speak. My recipe...

I like the biscuit.

74% MO
13% rye
12% C60
1% 500L Roasted Barley.

Target at 60
Styrians at 15

I am an IPA guy, nearly without exception, but this is the recipe I brew most frequently... I usually keep it around and 1.064 and use WLP007 Dry English and mash pretty low.

Old 04-01-2013, 02:15 AM   #5
signpost
Recipes 

Well, between having my CO2 tank leak until it was empty without even carbing up the batch, getting caught up in a super busy semester of school, and being blessed with the birth of my first daughter, I just finally got to taste a carbed and chilled version of this rye bitter.

I had a good few tastes of it without carbonation. While flat, it was unpleasant. I was worried I had my first completely screwed up, not very good batch.

Luckily, when I poured a glass earlier today, I found that it is a perfectly serviceable beer. I might even say it tastes good. I'm not sure I did a great job matching the hops with the rye. And I know the IBUs are a bit too high for the gravity. But the carbonation brings a lot of the flavors to life and somewhat balance out the extra bitterness.

Being that this was my first attempt at brewing with rye, I am happy with the results. However, I think I might go for a kit, the next time I want to try rye. A tried and true recipe will give me a chance to better get to know what to expect from rye, how much to use in a recipe and what other grains and hops to pair with it.

Live and learn. And now I'm sipping on a Speckled Heifer (Spotted Cow clone). Yum. Deliciously spring.

Quick Reply