Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Rose water

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2012, 02:36 PM   #1
meadsupporter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Rose water

Rose water:

I dont know if you are aware, but some middle eastern stores sell a heavily scented rose water and orange blossom water.

Have any of you guys here tried to use it in a brew?

I of course will add it post boil/cooled wort as not to boil off the essence; but i was thinking of a orange blossom scented brew without the dry taste that comes from adding too much honey to achieve the "blossom" aroma.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2012, 03:00 PM   #2
bleme
Recipes 

Liked 279 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Any aroma additions, especially those without sugar to convert, need to be added after fermentation is complete. I would add the rose or orange water to my bottling bucket with my priming sugar.

Old 06-17-2012, 01:21 AM   #3
Lazersgopewpew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I brewed a wit with orange blossom water a few months back. I added about 14 tbsp to a roughly 5 gallon batch during bottling.
The taste/aroma mellows out during the bottle conditioning process making it quite nice though if I ever do it again I'll probably add one less tbsp.

As a side note though, Rose water (of course depending on where you get it) tends to be slightly stronger in aroma than orange blossom water so maybe use a little less.
The best course of action would be adding to taste, before bottling, one tbsp at a time.

Old 10-26-2012, 02:44 PM   #4
rinhaak
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by meadsupporter View Post
Rose water:

I dont know if you are aware, but some middle eastern stores sell a heavily scented rose water and orange blossom water.

Have any of you guys here tried to use it in a brew?

I of course will add it post boil/cooled wort as not to boil off the essence; but i was thinking of a orange blossom scented brew without the dry taste that comes from adding too much honey to achieve the "blossom" aroma.
Resurrecting an old post: did you ever do this? I was thinking about making a Rose Wheat, and was really curious to see what you discovered. I was originally thinking about adding quite a bit, so I was surprised to see how little some users suggested using.

What did you find?

Old 10-26-2012, 06:34 PM   #5
bailiff48
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I used rosewater a year or two ago in a grapefruit wheat and had to go extremely light with it (post boil, in the bottling bucket). Did tests with a dropper and a measured amount of a similar beer...1 drop wasn't quite enough, but 2 was too much for me and my tasting subjects. Ended up with (if I remember correctly, don't have my notes handy) about 1/8 of a teaspoon for a 5 gallon batch. I thought it was good, but others thought it was a little too much. Neat part about it was that no one could definitively say, "That's rose water in there!". They could all tell that there was *something* different, but couldn't place it.

Quick Reply