Root Beer "Ale" Recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hah thats what he says! Beeradvocate gave it somewhat mixed but mostly bad reviews.. but for some reason my buddy thought it was good so I told him I'd look for a recipe and see what I can do.. maybe a half-batch or something.. no luck so far :(

I don't do much extract, so maybe someone else can help

Here is what I've gathered from reading descriptions:

Darkish amber color
some residual sweetness/maltiness

Maybe you could put together a malty darkish amber or red ale and spice it with sasafrass root (boil), licorice(who knows) and mint extract(a little at bottling)

I would be careful with sassafras. This is a quote from wikipedia:

The roots of Sassafras can be steeped to make tea and were used in the flavoring of root beer until being banned by the U. S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Laboratory animals that were given oral doses of sassafras tea or sassafras oil that contained safrole developed permanent liver damage or various types of cancer. In humans, liver damage can take years to develop and it may not have obvious signs.

In 1960, the FDA banned the use of sassafras oil and safrole in foods and drugs based on the animal studies and human case reports. Several years later, the sale of sassafras oil, roots, or tea for human consumption was prohibited by law[citation needed]. Subsequently, both Canada and the United States have passed laws against the sale of any consumable products (beverages, foods, cosmetics, health products such as toothpaste, and others) that contain more than specific small amounts of safrole.[7]

I've added root beer extract & lactose to a lightly hopped pale ale with good results. A wheat might be a good place to start.

This is off topic but i just wanted to say that I love the name "Sluggo's Nanobrewery & Dogwash."

Nicely done David 42.

Thanks, but I can't claim authorship. My former brewing buddy came up with it. I retain the name in his memory. (I did add the Dogwash part)

Any other thoughts on this? A local milwaukee brewer Sprecher has a XXX beer that isn't realeased other that at the gift shop that started life as root beer, but something added to it to make it a beer that is flavored as root beer. It's really good wondering if anyone has any ideas or recipes for something like this?

When I first tapped into this years Holiday beer it really tasted like a root beer. Now a month later that has flavor has toned down and it is not so apparent. The beer is I guess a Belgain pale ale as far as grains go. I added 2 oz of cinnamon and .5 oz of dried lemon and fermented with White Labs Saison II. I added the zest of two oranges when I transfered to secondary. I think it is the mix of the spices plus the yeast that made it taste like root beer. I think what has happened now is the orange notes have faded and the cinnamon is coming through more. I'll try putting a dash of orange juice in a glass and then pour a beer over it and see if that takes it back to root beer like

Back