Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Rooibos Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2009, 04:17 PM   #1
JunkMunky
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Rooibos Ale

So i am wanting to make a rooibos flavored ale. Rooibos is a African red tea for those of you who may not know. I'm wondering what the best time to add this is? should i steep the tea with crushed grains in the beginning, during the last couple minuets of the boil, or should i try to do it in the secondary?? the tea is kinda a delicate flavor. Just wondering
what you think?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2009, 05:37 PM   #2
SnickASaurusRex
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 8 Posts

Once in the last of the boil, and once in the secondary.

Old 05-26-2009, 05:47 PM   #3
JunkMunky
Recipes 

Thanks man, i have 30 min left in the boil so your just in time. I was planing on doing it in the last of the boil. cause i could always add it again if it didn't taste right.

Old 05-26-2009, 05:51 PM   #4
SnickASaurusRex
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 8 Posts

I never thought of using red tea, but that sounds like it might be great in a beer with a supporting hop bill.

Old 05-26-2009, 05:53 PM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2774 Times on 1659 Posts
Likes Given: 3486

I agree with snick, if it is really delicate flavor, then you won't want to boil away the esters, so I would add it under 5 minutes. Then I would steep and cool some more and add it in the secondary....and if it still wasn't enough, I would add more at bottling time...I would steep more of it in the priming solution and add it as I would my normal priming solution.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 05-26-2009, 06:26 PM   #6
scinerd3000
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 29

i get the same type of tea from my local tea shop. It steeps hot but you don't really want to boil it. I would add a fair amount at the time when you flameout. Adjust the flavor later- how strong were you thinking you would make this.

Old 05-26-2009, 06:29 PM   #7
TrojanMan
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well, rooibos isn't actually tea. Where tea leaves will become bitter if they're boiled, rooibos can probably stand a minute or two of boiling without throwing off bitter flavors.

Still, if it were me, I'd use the sam regimen that I use to infuse coffee flavors.

After flame-out, let the temp drop to the 205-210*F range and then add your coffee/rooibos to steep. This approximated the temperature at which you would ordinarily brew coffee or rooibos at. If I were using black tea, closer to 200-205 and real delicate stuff like green tea as low as 175-180*F.

Steep for five minutes for coffee, probably closer to 3.5-4 minutes for rooibos.

Then chill the wort down and pitch as normal.

I also like to add whole coffee beans to either the secondary, keg or in the bottles themselves. Puts a little cold coffee flavor in there as well after a few weeks.

With rooibos, I'd make sure to do that in either mesh strainer ball or a satchel of some sort just so it doesn't get messy inside the keg.

Old 06-17-2009, 12:34 AM   #8
JunkMunky
Recipes 

I went with 1.5oz in the last 5 mins of boil. then i went with another 1.5 oz at bottling time to make it a more prominent flavor in the beer. My first attempt with the ale from this post i used far to little so it was barely noticeable. My second attempt at it i used a pilsner base, the rooibos gave it perfect red/brown tint and it tasted awesome. definatly saving that recipe. thanks for all your help guys!

Old 12-18-2010, 07:06 AM   #9
DrNuBingTon
Recipes 

JunkMunky have you had any luck with your second try? I was going to boil a <1/2 gallon of water then as its cooling down steep the Rooibos (at recommended temp) and add to bottling bucket to desired taste.

Teavana.com says:
For Rooibos Peach Bloom
"Use 1.5 teaspoons of tea per 8ozof water to 208f and steep 5-6 min. 2oz of tea equals 25-30 teaspoons."

If that helped at all...

I've wanted to do this for a while now but I'll be using a 30/70 wheat/2 row malt base. The red in the Rooibos should adjust the color nicely.

Old 01-22-2011, 01:37 PM   #10
Daddymem
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Old thread I know, but how did this go? It does sound like a good pairing for beer.

I don't have "hobbies", I'm developing a robust Post-Apocalyptic skill set.

Little House On the Sand Pit on Wordpress
Two If By Sea Brewing (2XC) on Facebook
Facebook BIAB Group
Facebook Southcoast Homebrewers Association
SCHBAMA@gmail.com
Partigyles Gone Wild on Basic Brewing Radio <-Hey, that's me!

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS