New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Roasted Red Pepper Porter(?)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2013, 04:22 PM   #1
SemperFermentis
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Roasted Red Pepper Porter(?)

I'm getting ready to brew with some roasted fresno chili peppers this weekend. I've been inspired by Craggie's Burning Barrel Porter. Jury's still out on whether I'm going to oak it like they do yet, (probably going to decide after a taste post-fermentation).

I'm inclined to stick with the porter idea, and while there are a bunch of discussions about peppers I don't get much in the way of yeast selection. I have several options to go with here:

WLP011
WLP001
WLP002
WLP004
WLP007
WLP028
WLP060

I'm having a tough time deciding whether or not I want to use a super clean yeast, or if I would prefer the esters? I am leaning against WLP004 based on the description (diacetyl production), but what about attenuation? Would this benefit from some residual sweetness? How about smoked malts?

Would love some input from the masses.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2013, 02:13 PM   #2
anthropod

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I have always loved my porters and stouts that I have done with the WLP004
With an attention of 69-74% It has given me enough residual sweetness for my taste.

I have not used any smoked malts before nor have I made a chile beer so I can't comment there.

Old 11-06-2013, 08:18 PM   #3
SemperFermentis

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthropod View Post
I have always loved my porters and stouts that I have done with the WLP004
With an attention of 69-74% It has given me enough residual sweetness for my taste.

I have not used any smoked malts before nor have I made a chile beer so I can't comment there.
Good to know. I won't fear the diacetyl. I think I've decided to go without the smoked malts this time around, baby steps. Thanks!

Quick Reply