Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Roasted grain % in a porter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2009, 06:26 PM   #1
dsuarez
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Roasted grain % in a porter

I want to brew a US robust porter, and initially wanted to use all Chocolate malt for my roast profile. However, after scouring other recipes online, I see that almost everybody uses a combination of chocolate with black patent. Has anybody used just chocolate malt? What are the drawbacks/benefits? What does black patent bring to the table that chocolate does not?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2009, 07:01 PM   #2
dsuarez
Recipes 

Here is a recipe I just drafted. Anybody have any pointers? I am trying to shoot for a porter that tastes like toasted pistachio skins with a deep bitter dark chocolate character (my girlfriends request)

5 Gallons Recipe
approx OG: 1060
approx IBU: 30

Grains
7 lbs. 8 oz. Maris Otter
1 lb. UK Crystal 85L
1 lb. Belgian Biscuit Malt
12 oz. UK Chocolate Malt
4 oz. UK Crystal 120 L
4 oz. UK Black Patent

Hops
1 oz. Columbus pellets @ 60 mins (12.4% aa)
1 oz. Willamette or Cascade Pellets @ flameout

Yeast
White Labs WLP007 Dry english ale

Old 09-20-2009, 11:44 PM   #3
Beernik
Recipes 

Liked 299 Times on 252 Posts
Likes Given: 21

There are a couple recipes in the back of Classic Beer Style Series - Porter that are a combination of crystal and chocolate malts and no black. So I think you could be okay doing it that way.

Here are some comments I received on a robust Porter I came up with. I haven't had a chance to make it yet.
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/ag-porter-135529/

On deck: Apple Honey Ale, Barleywine, Belgain Golden Ale, Malt Liquor, IRA, Wit, Uinta Hazel Clone, Uinta Yard Sale Clone.

Old 09-20-2009, 11:53 PM   #4
sonetlumiere85
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

That's a lot of crystal - you might want to drop the 85 to 1/2lb. Maris Otter will give you a good amount of sweetness anyway, so you don't need that much crystal, IMO. I'm pretty sure black malt is just used to correct the color, which is what it's used for in most British styles. An oz or two of black malt in most any beer will darken it without affecting the flavor. So it may just be a holdover from that practice. I've made porters with it and without it, and I can't say I've noticed a difference.

Old 09-21-2009, 02:59 PM   #5
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 195 Times on 161 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Looks pretty good to me, but I agree on backing off on the crystal 85. For reference, I like brown porters and for them only use 1/2 lb of chocolate malt, no other roasted malts, and 1/2 pound of a mid-range crystal malt.

Primary: Pale Ale
Brewing soon: Saison
Recently kicked : ( IPA, Bock, Saison,
Pilsner Urquell Master Homebrewer
(1st NYC 2011, 2nd NYC 2012)
P U crowns winners in its inaugural master HB competition

Old 09-21-2009, 06:20 PM   #6
Teacher
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

That's generally what I use too, though I just roasted some pale to about 120L (roughly) and plan to use a pound or two of that in addition to chocolate and crystal next time around.

Quick Reply