Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > RIS ish with Wyeast 9097

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2012, 12:02 PM   #31
sudndeth
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Also, I'm using WLP099 for bottling. Not sure why I thought that's what you recommended. It should work fine though.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2012, 01:58 AM   #32
smokinghole
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 11

099 should work fine for you. Mine ended up never carbing up and I think it was because of a lack of viable yeast. I didn't repitch anything hoping the brett would take up the carb. Well it didn't, so I sanitized/purged a 3 gal keg. Then I poured the bottles back into the keg while the CO2 was running through the gas port. My batch for this year is in the fermentor already. I went big this year and did a 15 gal batch by brewing two mashes of it that day.

Going through life is hard.
Going through life stupid is harder.

Old 12-29-2012, 02:14 AM   #33
sudndeth
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I'm dry hoping with Bramling Cross. How much would you use? I also took a gravity sample. it finished at 1.020. It smelled really sour, but there was no real sour taste. Actually, it tasted nothing like I expected. I didn't get any particular flavor at all. You could taste the alcohol, but it wasn't hot just warming. The oak didn't shine through and it was bitter but not over powering. It was good though. Reminded me of La Folie in a way, just not as sour. The mouth feel was thin though. I wish it finished higher. I'm thinking of carbing it on the high side. What did you carb yours at?

Old 12-29-2012, 12:16 PM   #34
smokinghole

Recipes 

2.2ish. I had to hit it with high PSI in the keg for a couple days then trim it down. I was in a time crunch to rebottle it for christmas. I hope this years finishes as high or higher than last years. I hit 1.024 I think.

I'd use like an ounce of dry hops, not like its an IPA or anything. Just enough to give some fresh hop flavor/aroma but not enough to be out of place.

Old 12-29-2012, 03:11 PM   #35
sudndeth
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I dry hopped with 2oz of Willamette. The Bambring Cross I had was too old. I'm going to let it sit for another 5 days and then bottle.

Old 12-29-2012, 03:44 PM   #36
smokinghole

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudndeth View Post
I dry hopped with 2oz of Willamette. The Bambring Cross I had was too old. I'm going to let it sit for another 5 days and then bottle.
If I were you I'd hand calculate the sugar addition for bottling. Also if you have some on hand I'd use some malt extract to prime and you could throw some maltodextrine in there when bottling to help fill the mouth feel out. The trick with using the malt extract is that compared to dextrose it's typically only 75% fermentable. However with the brett possibly left behind you are looking at closer to 80-90% fermentability from the malt extract. So take that into consideration when calculating priming sugar if you use malt extract.

The reason for hand calculating priming sugar is because most online calculators and programs do not take into account a loss of practically all residual CO2 from the long aging period. I tend to figure for about 0.3-0.4 volumes of residual CO2. So if you want 2.2 volumes you need like 1.8 volumes from your priming sugar. At 4g/l x 1.8 that's 7.2g per liter and if you have 20 L that's 144g total needed. A online calculator will tell you you need much less because based on your (for example) 65F temp it will assume double your realistic residual CO2.

http://hbd.org/brewery/library/YPrimerMH.html

poley Likes This 
Old 01-07-2013, 10:38 PM   #37
sudndeth
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quick update. I bottled on Sunday. It went pretty smooth, but I had less beer than I calculated for so this may be more carbed than I wanted. No big deal, I like my beers carbed on the high side anyway. Not sure how long this is going to take to carb up, but I'll probably pop one open in a couple of months to see. BTW, I used DME to carb and used the 099.

The dry hop had the perfect balance to it. Good choice.

Old 01-08-2013, 12:46 AM   #38
smokinghole

Recipes 

Awesome good to hear. I have to get my second helping carbed up and rebottled now that I have a CO2 bottle that's full.

Old 06-18-2013, 12:11 AM   #39
sudndeth
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

This beer is really good. It took a long time to carb up though. I'm talking 4-6 months.

I would have not added the mason jar of port. Just cubes and you could add the port to taste later. It's presence is too upfront. It's good, but too much. Also, it has a nice bitterness on the back end with a little sour note. It seems to increase with time. Not mouth puckering though. The nose is awesome and the carb gave it a nice mouth feel.

It's been cool to see this beer change over the years. I've never put so much work into a batch before. Next time I open one ill post one of the pour.

image-2777429702.jpg

Old 06-18-2013, 12:20 AM   #40
poley
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 5

If it's any consolation, mine was way too port-forward the first year I bottled it, but by year two it was absolutely killer. Just enough to get the fruit, but not bash-you-over-the-head with the port.

Quick Reply