Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Rice Syrup Equivalent

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2005, 01:25 AM   #1
Kevin Cartmill
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Rice Syrup Equivalent

One of my best brews had 1 can of rice syrup in the ingredient list. Since a 2.2 lb can costs 7 or 8 bucks, I thought there must be a way to cut costs but still get the equivalent. Just like going from extract to all grain reduces cost, isn't there a way to just buy rice (which is about $9 for a 25lb bag), do a couple of extra steps, and get the same results? My first thoughts were along the lines of doing a mini mash with about 3-5 lbs of rice but I read in a brewmasters recipe manual that all rice used in brewing has to be cooked. Now if I just need to cook some rice, toss it and use the leftover liquid, that's what I'm looking for. Otherwise, as my luck usually is, there is some reason (or quite a few) as to why it can't be this easy. Any light shed here would be appreciated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply