Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > rice hulls

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2006, 01:25 PM   #1
DeRoux's Broux
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default rice hulls

my brew bud and i were talking about #'s of grain and water needed for mash in. the question of rice hulls came up. he's say's you should account for the rice hulls when you have a large amount of rye or wheat in the grain bill, and should add water for their amount in the grist. i say no, because they are not a source of fermentables and are mainly a "mash" structure stabilizer (for lack of better words).

i'm right on this one, right?

Cheers!
DeRoux's Broux

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2006, 01:35 PM   #2
Kaiser

Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeRoux's Broux
i'm right on this one, right?
Not being an expert and knowing that you planned to do a decotion, I'd say you should be fine w/o. We are talking about the Dunkel-Weissbier, correct?

Kai

Old 01-20-2006, 01:38 PM   #3
DeRoux's Broux

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

nope, i'm doing the decoction, but that's how the subject came up. we were talking about the grain bill for my wheat, and we started talking about Real Ale's Full Moon Pale Rye and how wheat is like rye in the mash, bla, bla, bla.....

Cheers!
DeRoux's Broux

Old 01-20-2006, 02:57 PM   #4
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts

Are we talking adding water to account for water absorption by the rice hulls? I don't think they really absorb a noticeable amount, but just guessing.

Old 01-20-2006, 03:01 PM   #5
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 128 Posts

Rice hulls will absorb about the same amount of water by weight as grain will, but they are much lighter by volume.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 01-20-2006, 03:24 PM   #6
DeRoux's Broux

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGee
Are we talking adding water to account for water absorption by the rice hulls? I don't think they really absorb a noticeable amount, but just guessing.
yes sir. i just figured they wouldn't absorb enough to matter. but, i'm doing a double decoction, so no worries!

Cheers!
DeRoux's Broux

Old 01-20-2006, 03:29 PM   #7
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts

I've never added more than 1/2 a pound, anyways, although some recipes have called for a full pound. A 1/2 pound of rice hulls is like a 1/2 pound of hops...it takes up a lot of space!

Old 01-20-2006, 06:17 PM   #8
casebrew
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Hmmm.... I've used 1 1/2# of hulls in each rye batch. But if 75% of the grains end up in the wort, that means 25% id left in the grain pile. SOoo, 1/2# of rice hulls ought to be good for 2# of rye? But an extra 59 cents for a lb of hulls is cheap, though my mash tun ends up full to the top...

Do rice hulls contribute tannins? Perhaps that would be another reason to cut down on them...

So far, I've had more experience thinking than I've had brewing....you don't think they are mutually exclusive, do you?

72 batches so far,
48 wine, mostly Loquat, peach, plum, prickly pear
23 beers and ciders
1 sauerkraut
1 Tequila, from a prickly pear wine experiment that didn't work. I call it "Prickly Heat"

Old 01-21-2006, 03:15 AM   #9
DeRoux's Broux

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

man, i'm whipped. doing a double decoction brew, rubb'n down a brisket for smoking tomorrow, and a loaf of Kai's spent grain beer bread in the oven......long day.....

Cheers!
DeRoux's Broux

Old 01-21-2006, 04:39 AM   #10
Kaiser

Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I'll be doing a double decoction for my Doppelbock as well. Just like the Bavarian Monks did it, back in the days when they lived on that stuff during the time of lent. If it weren't for the 3# LME that I will add to get to 1.077, it would even be my first AG batch. But I have done a decoction for a partial mash before.

Not to confuse your Weizen recipe any further, but I came across an interesting article regarding enhancing the banana aroma of wheat beers:

The idea is to raise the glucose level by adding a Maltase rest at 45C after the 64C rest. Yes the temperature goes down again. The idea ist to prodce Maltose at 64C and convert some of the Maltose to Glucose at 45C. The increased glucose level will increase the banana-ester production of the yeast. The problem hower is, that the Maltase may not survive the 64C rest which requires the mash to be split. Once half is brought to 64C to generate Maltose and then combined with the rest to reach 45C and generate Glucose. After that its through the usual rests to mash-out. This mashing has been proposed by Markus Herrmann (Weihenstephan Institure Freising, Germany).
And it's even more work than a decoction.

I'll look into this further when I will be brewing Hefeweizens all through the summer. So far I was not able to find an english text on this though .

Kai

Quick Reply