Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Rhubarb Beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2007, 08:35 PM   #1
BuffaloSabresBrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Default Rhubarb Beer

Anyone have a recipe? If so please post it the SWMBO really wants me to make some. Thanks

Single male seeks double-jointed supermodel who owns a brewery and grows her own pot. Access to free concert tickets a plus!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2007, 03:58 AM   #3
skeeordye11
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Love the avatar! Go Swords!!!

Old 12-09-2007, 04:03 AM   #4
BuffaloSabresBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

thank you its less than an hour old its 4-1 sabres over the sharks right now Go Sabres!

Single male seeks double-jointed supermodel who owns a brewery and grows her own pot. Access to free concert tickets a plus!

Old 12-09-2007, 02:40 PM   #5
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 128 Posts

If you google for rhubarb beer recipe, this is the first item:

http://brianbeer.blogspot.com/2007/0...xperiment.html

It should be noted that the blogger never did update with sampling info. This may be because he DID sample.

The biggest problem I see is the tartness of rhubarb will be impossible to balance with sweetness as you normally would in a pie or tart. But, you can always experiment & report back.

I've got a 200 sq. ft. 40-year old patch on my property, could be useful.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 12-09-2007, 03:02 PM   #6
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

technically you could back sweeten with lactose to balance out the tartness.

whether it'd taste good, with or without the sweetness...who knows!
I'd probably do a half batch for experimentation purposes.

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 05-17-2009, 09:38 AM   #7
Rhubarby-beer
Recipes 

Default I made thee best rhubarb beer.

im a novice to beer making, last year i made a few bottles of nettle beer which went horribly wrong despite following the recipe to the letter.. this year however for my 18th birthday party (last night) i had a go at rhubarb beer. much like yourself i couldnt find a recipe so i just guessed, so ive no real measurements but it was amazing beer that knocked me off my feet for the whole night and tasted delicious..

basically a few bunches of rhubarb blended and then boiled for an hour or so in a gallon of water, then poured over just over half a bag of sugar and stirred. then i added a healthy squirt of honey and left it to cool to just below body temp, then added a teaspoon of dry active yeast.
covered it and left it in a warm place for a couple of weeks then bottled it in swing top bottles putting a squirt of honey in the bottom of each bottle before adding the beer.. at this point i drank it after a week of it being in the bottle so it was still quite sweet perhaps had i left it longer it would have been even better again.

as i say im a novice so my methods are probably flawed but at the end of the day im the one who made a good rhubarb beer off the top of his head :L
apologies for the lack of exact measurements but it was all guess work. any experienced brewers out there might want to refine my recipe a bit.

drink it carefully, its a very strong beer. haha

Old 12-01-2009, 04:50 PM   #8
MrInternet
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Sounds like you made rhubarb wine... ish. I would be very interested in a true rhubard beer that uses malt to balance the tartness... probably wouldn't even need hops (maybe just aroma?)... anyone ever had a go at this in a true beer?

Old 02-16-2010, 03:30 AM   #9
bruguru
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I entered this one into this years Sam Adams Patriot contest, here it is from memory.

10 gallon batch og 1.050 fg 1.012
mash in 142F batch sparge

12lbs belgian pilsner malt
5 lbs white wheat
.5 ounce hallertau hops 30 min
4lbs of strawberries
8 stocks rhubarb
Wlp 001 California ale yeast

Let beer ferment as normal in primary for 2 weeks until you reach desired FG.
macerate rhubarb, and strawberries with 2 cups sugar, and 2 cups water, until fruit becomes broken down. Add to secondary ferment for 2 weeks, and remove fruit.
add to tertiary for 2 more weeks to make sure all of the fruit sugars are completely fermented. Bottle or keg as usual.

I chose to let the fruit do the talking on this one and make it almost like a berliner weiss. What I was trying to do was to get the tartness of belgian beers without all of the funky yeasts. This beer came out fantastic, a great aroma of strawberries, and a great tart aftertaste. The wlp001 did it's job, and fermented cleanly. Great summer beer.
Women really love this beer, because of that this one is great to have on hand at summer parties.
No I don't know what the 2 cups of sugar did to the alcohol content. I really didn't care, I just wanted to get the most of the fruit flavors that I had, and I thought that the sugar would help it to ferment quicker, and more cleanly.

Old 03-21-2010, 05:17 AM   #10
SexPanther13
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruguru View Post
I entered this one into this years Sam Adams Patriot contest, here it is from memory.

10 gallon batch og 1.050 fg 1.012
mash in 142F batch sparge

12lbs belgian pilsner malt
5 lbs white wheat
.5 ounce hallertau hops 30 min
4lbs of strawberries
8 stocks rhubarb
Wlp 001 California ale yeast

Let beer ferment as normal in primary for 2 weeks until you reach desired FG.
macerate rhubarb, and strawberries with 2 cups sugar, and 2 cups water, until fruit becomes broken down. Add to secondary ferment for 2 weeks, and remove fruit.
add to tertiary for 2 more weeks to make sure all of the fruit sugars are completely fermented. Bottle or keg as usual.

I chose to let the fruit do the talking on this one and make it almost like a berliner weiss. What I was trying to do was to get the tartness of belgian beers without all of the funky yeasts. This beer came out fantastic, a great aroma of strawberries, and a great tart aftertaste. The wlp001 did it's job, and fermented cleanly. Great summer beer.
Women really love this beer, because of that this one is great to have on hand at summer parties.
No I don't know what the 2 cups of sugar did to the alcohol content. I really didn't care, I just wanted to get the most of the fruit flavors that I had, and I thought that the sugar would help it to ferment quicker, and more cleanly.
Thanks for that recipe, I've already got the base beer in the primary, I hadn't found this till after I brewed it so my recipe is for a 5 gallon batch.

I used all extracts because I haven't moved to all grain yet. I'm waiting until I move to my new apartment in June where I will have a bigger kitchen.

I used the following ingredients:

I took the SG at 1.050 but I threw in some more water to bring it down a little and I forgot to take a new reading so it is probably more like 1.040-1.045

6lbs LME Wheat from Northern Brewer
3lbs DME Munton's Wheat
.75oz Cascade hops 60min
.25oz Cascade hops 10min
Wyeast American Wheat Yeast

When this is finished fermenting I'm going to add 4oz of strawberry extract with some maltodextrin and rhubarb. Do you think 4 stalks of rhubarb would be enough? And should I throw in some corn sugar to help with a clean ferment?

Quick Reply