Revolution Brewing - Eugene Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bossbrews

Reaction score
Anyone been to Revolution Brewing in Chicago? Tried the Eugene Porter? I could easily say it is the best porter I have ever tried. From the cask, it is maybe one of the best beers I've ever tried!

I was just curious if someone had tried it and wanted to take a stab at cloning it. The info on the site doesn't give much away :confused:
http://revbrew.com/beers

Try contacting the brewer, they might be willing to give you some details.

I'm curious if you had any luck reaching out to them. I went to Revolution Brewing last weekend and had the best brown ale I've ever had (working woman brown). I don't know how to describe it. I emailed them for a hint at the hop schedule but didn't get anywhere. Anybody with a decent palate have any idea what kind of hops they used? Oh, and if you haven't been there you need to go. Food was awesome too. Well worth the 60 min wait on a friday. Actually, I cant think of anywhere I would rather wait 60 minutes. This brown ale is delicious.

If you go on saturday they do a tour of the brewery thats free around noon. Pretty neat place. You may be able to chat with the guide a bit and get some info. I enjoyed the stout, porter, and iba while was there. Best of luck with a clone. If i had better access to it i would love to give.it.a.shot as my first clone as it was really good.

Coincidently, I was there last night and had one. Really good! They had an 8.5% ABV Saison on tap that was amazing too. I'm glad they are in the neighborhood!!

I'm curious if you had any luck reaching out to them. I went to Revolution Brewing last weekend and had the best brown ale I've ever had (working woman brown). I don't know how to describe it. I emailed them for a hint at the hop schedule but didn't get anywhere. Anybody with a decent palate have any idea what kind of hops they used? Oh, and if you haven't been there you need to go. Food was awesome too. Well worth the 60 min wait on a friday. Actually, I cant think of anywhere I would rather wait 60 minutes. This brown ale is delicious.

Yes, as a matter of fact I did get ahold of the brewer.

"Eugene is a robust porter with 2-row as a base malt, and castle belgian specialty malts munich, caramunich and special B. The key to the deep dark color and chocolate aroma and flavor is breiss dark choc malt.
original gravity = 18.5 plato
ibus = 28
abv = 6.8%
We use magnum for a bittering hop and a bit of centennial at the end of boil."

Single infusion mash at 154 F.

Yeast is Wyeast 1968

I gave my shot at it but it came out way too sweet and light in body. I think I got carried away with the all the sweet belgian malts. If anyone thinks they can come up with a good balance please let me know. I'd be willing to try again.

Thanks for the porter recipe guidance. I like the tour idea except that I live in columbus, OH. Instead, I emailed them last week and didn't hear back. I'm going to try to brew an american brown with chinook and cascade.

Thanks for the porter recipe guidance. I like the tour idea except that I live in columbus, OH. Instead, I emailed them last week and didn't hear back. I'm going to try to brew an american brown with chinook and cascade.

I also live in columbus. The tour is neat. Did you get your aba wort from the cbc big brew?

Ah, you're on to my motives for a good brown ale recipe. I was at cbc. We did 10 gallons with 6 oz of chinook and 6 oz of cascade. I'm going to dry hop half with centennial.

Yes, as a matter of fact I did get ahold of the brewer.

"Eugene is a robust porter with 2-row as a base malt, and castle belgian specialty malts munich, caramunich and special B. The key to the deep dark color and chocolate aroma and flavor is breiss dark choc malt.
original gravity = 18.5 plato
ibus = 28
abv = 6.8%
We use magnum for a bittering hop and a bit of centennial at the end of boil."

Single infusion mash at 154 F.

Yeast is Wyeast 1968

I gave my shot at it but it came out way too sweet and light in body. I think I got carried away with the all the sweet belgian malts. If anyone thinks they can come up with a good balance please let me know. I'd be willing to try again.

What was your starting recipe?

Ah, you're on to my motives for a good brown ale recipe. I was at cbc. We did 10 gallons with 6 oz of chinook and 6 oz of cascade. I'm going to dry hop half with centennial.

I missed the big brew but i have an iba that gets kegged sunday. I used cascade and nugget for it. Yours sounds like an iba and rather tasty.

Back