Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Review this IPA

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2013, 05:33 PM   #1
hershpga
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Clinton, MD
Posts: 8
Default Review this IPA

Ok so this is going to be my first recipie that I have thrown together. I dont plan on brewing this until mid next month so I have plenty of time to tweek the ingredients. I would like the criticism from everyone that wants to put in their .2$. I havent picked a yeast yet because i havent read enough about the different varieties to make an educated guess. Well, on to the recipe.

Grain Bill
9 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) Bel (3.0 SRM) Grain 1 62.1 %
3 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 2 20.7 %
2 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 3 13.8 %
8.0 oz Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM) Grain 4 3.4 %

Boil
1.50 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 42.5 IBUs
0.50 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 40.0 min Hop 6 16.2 IBUs
1.00 oz Warrior [15.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 7 32.7 IBUs
1.00 oz Willamette [5.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 9 5.7 IBUs
1.00 oz Liberty [4.30 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 10 2.4 IBUs
0.50 oz Challenger [7.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 11 2.1 IBUs
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 12 0.0 IBUs

Secondary
1.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 13 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 14 0.0 IBUs


Thank you in advanced.

__________________
hershpga is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2013, 05:46 PM   #2
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
daksin's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 4,093
Liked 272 Times on 238 Posts
Likes Given: 323

Default

Ok, first off, you have waaaaaaaaaaaay too much caramel malt in there. Cut it back to under a pound (I'd go 8oz). Also, pils is basically a lighter kilned 2-row (more or less) so you're not going to be able to taste 2 pounds in this recipe. I'd just switch that to more 2-row for simplicity. The wheat isn't necessary, but it isn't hurting anything either.

You also have a ton of competing hop varieties/flavors going on there. Warrior is a great clean bittering hop so I'd use that for your cheap alphas. Then I'd stick to your standard american citrus/pine varieties: in there you've got Centennial, Simcoe, Cascade, and Citra; the challenger could probably fit in there too as a nice interesting way to mix it up a bit. I'd use those as late additions, but only at 20m and later. 40 and 30m additions aren't adding anything but bitterness, and you can get that with your 60m addition. I'd try to use 3 or fewer hop varieties to avoid getting muddled.

What are your goals for this IPA?

__________________

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

daksin is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2013, 05:48 PM   #3
chickypad
lupulin shift victim
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
chickypad's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: SF Peninsula
Posts: 2,515
Liked 233 Times on 209 Posts
Likes Given: 106

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by daksin View Post
Ok, first off, you have waaaaaaaaaaaay too much caramel malt in there. Cut it back to under a pound (I'd go 8oz). Also, pils is basically a lighter kilned 2-row (more or less) so you're not going to be able to taste 2 pounds in this recipe. I'd just switch that to more 2-row for simplicity. The wheat isn't necessary, but it isn't hurting anything either.

You also have a ton of competing hop varieties/flavors going on there. Warrior is a great clean bittering hop so I'd use that for your cheap alphas. Then I'd stick to your standard american citrus/pine varieties: in there you've got Centennial, Simcoe, Cascade, and Citra; the challenger could probably fit in there too as a nice interesting way to mix it up a bit. I'd use those as late additions, but only at 20m and later. 40 and 30m additions aren't adding anything but bitterness, and you can get that with your 60m addition. I'd try to use 3 or fewer hop varieties to avoid getting muddled.

What are your goals for this IPA?
+1. Pretty much everything I was going to say.
__________________
chickypad is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2013, 05:54 PM   #4
bobbrews
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sierra, Nevada
Posts: 3,535
Liked 280 Times on 241 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Default

daksin gave you some pretty sound advice. Cut Crystal malt to 0-5% total. Pilsener malt will be lost here. Switch flaked wheat to wheat malt. Add a bit of Munich malt if you want. Mash at 152 F for 60 min.

I'd omit the Fuggles, Challenger, and Liberty. Bitter with Warrior. Focus on Simcoe, Centennial, Citra, and Cascade late and/or in the dryhop. A simple 60/15/0/DH schedule with 5 oz. kettle hops will work well (1 oz. at 60, 2 oz. at 15, 2 oz at 0). Dryhop with an additional 3 oz. - No need for secondary - Dryhop in the primary during the last week.

Use a clean Cali Ale yeast, like Safale US-05, WLP001, or Wyeast 1056, to allow the hops to shine better.

__________________
bobbrews is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2013, 08:03 PM   #5
hershpga
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Clinton, MD
Posts: 8
Default

Ok, all the advice is awesome!!! I was expecting for my recipe to be way worse, but I am pretty new into the all grain scene and cant wait to make a brew that came out of my noggin along with everyones help. I'm sure it will be revised even more before brew day. My goals for the brew would be to just have a flavorful IPA that isn't terribly overpowering. I do like IPA's so it would take a lot. This is my first time brewing an IPA so I am just starting to experiment with types/amounts of hops. Oh and daksin, congrats on opening the nano brewery.

Revised

13 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) Bel (3.0 SRM) Grain 1 86.7 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 30L (30.0 SRM) Grain 2 6.7 %
1 lbs Munich Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 3 6.7 %

1.25 oz Warrior [15.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 51.8 IBUs
2.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 6 26.0 IBUs
2.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 7 11.0 IBUs

3.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 8 0.0 IBUs

__________________
hershpga is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2013, 08:11 PM   #6
bobbrews
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sierra, Nevada
Posts: 3,535
Liked 280 Times on 241 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hershpga View Post
My goals for the brew would be to just have a flavorful IPA that isn't terribly overpowering. I do like IPA's so it wouldn't take a lot.
Overpowering in the sense of what?... Bitterness?

The 100% Citra dryhop will lend something very juicy, fruity, and tropical. For more complexity, you might want to divvy that up a bit between Citra, Centennial, and Simcoe... or two of these.

And this is minor, but Munich 10L would be better suited for the AIPA style. More malt complexity can be had by subbing a portion of American 2-row with English 2-row and using a yeast like WLP002 or WLP007 over the cleaner WLP001.
__________________
bobbrews is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2013, 08:28 PM   #7
hershpga
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Clinton, MD
Posts: 8
Default

No I love IPA's, I really like the taste of Stone's Ruination IPA which is rated at 100+ IBU's. And yea I will split the dry hop up with Simcoe and see how that turns out.

__________________
hershpga is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2013, 08:37 PM   #8
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 60,361
Liked 4280 Times on 3119 Posts
Likes Given: 825

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hershpga View Post
Revised

13 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) Bel (3.0 SRM) Grain 1 86.7 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 30L (30.0 SRM) Grain 2 6.7 %
1 lbs Munich Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 3 6.7 %

1.25 oz Warrior [15.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 51.8 IBUs
2.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 6 26.0 IBUs
2.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 7 11.0 IBUs

3.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 8 0.0 IBUs
Better!

I'm not a huge citra fan, but I like it mixed with other hops (like in Sierra Nevada Torpedo). I'd probably reduce the 60 minute hops to 1 ounce, mix up the three flavor/aroma varieties a bit.

Like this:
1 oz warrior 60 minutes
1 oz simcoe 15 minutes
1 oz centennial 5 minutes
1 oz citra 0 minutes
1 oz simcoe 0 minutes
1 oz centennial dryhop
1 oz citra dryhop

I like simcoe/centennial/citra together, as the simcoe is citrus/pine, the centennial is floral/citrus and citra screams MANGO.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006
Yooper is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2013, 10:34 PM   #9
techbrewie
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Fargo, ND
Posts: 299
Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
Better!

I'm not a huge citra fan,
are you a terrorist? :-)
__________________

Brew long and Prosper... May the wort be with you... Yippeekayay master brewers... You had me at free beer.

techbrewie is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2013, 10:36 PM   #10
jakenbacon
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
jakenbacon's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Glendale, AZ
Posts: 507
Liked 60 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 178

Default

Reviewed.....

__________________
jakenbacon is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ESB Review please. brieuxster Recipes/Ingredients 5 06-01-2011 01:35 PM
Schneider Aventinus Weizenbock Beer Review - Beer Review Dude jbrookeiv Commercial Brew Discussion 2 04-15-2011 06:24 PM
If you got this review what would you think... rtbroze Extract Brewing 25 11-05-2010 03:44 AM
1st AG IPA - Please Review macabra11 Recipes/Ingredients 12 04-23-2009 08:08 PM