reusing yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crazygee69

Reaction score
After brewing a kolsch and a red ale, I decided to start saving the yeast. I bottled and capped in regular beer bottles about half full. Then I refridgerated the bottles and have had them there fro a couple of months. I did not do a yeast wash because at the time I knew nothing about. aa friend told me it would work the way i did it. Now there is a thin layer of beer on top of each layer of yeast. Will this work and if so how will this affect the taste of my beer. I guess with the layer of beer on top of each i should only make the same beer. Is there a way to wash this yeast before i use it? Any input is appreciated greatly!:mug:

Half-full? You might be able to do a mini-wash inside the bottle. Fill with boiled and chilled water, shake, let stand five minutes, and decant slurry into your starter wort. The trub should sink first.

You are going to use a starter, right? They'll need to be woken up after a couple months' hibernation, and you need to make sure the culture is clean (smell and taste your starter beer) before you pitch a whole batch.

Is this second generation yeast? I presume so. If it is, there is no real reason for a yeast wash IMHO.

Half-full? You might be able to do a mini-wash inside the bottle. Fill with boiled and chilled water, shake, let stand five minutes, and decant slurry into your starter wort. The trub should sink first.

You are going to use a starter, right? They'll need to be woken up after a couple months' hibernation, and you need to make sure the culture is clean (smell and taste your starter beer) before you pitch a whole batch.

Well, I have 3 or 4 bottles or each. I guess i could combine them, they all came from one batch and then do a wash. how would that work?

Back