Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Request: Rogue's Monk Madness

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2007, 09:15 PM   #1
Humer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Request: Rogue's Monk Madness

This is a limited release by Rogue. Having a hard time finding it in the liquors stores.

Any help would be much appreciated.

American amber
Gumball head clone

On Deck:

Bulk Aging:

Port

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2007, 10:09 PM   #2
Willsellout

Recipes 

I live about an hour and a half from the brewery and will actually be up there this weekend. They have the monk madness pretty much everywhere around here. It sucks not being able to get the beer you want. it was that way with me when I found Fat tire, you couldn't find it in California.

Dan

Secondary One-Empty
Secondary Two-Empty

On Tap: Hobgoblin, Coffee Stout
Bottled: Arrogant Bastard clone, Summit IPA, Apfelwein

Old 01-22-2007, 01:04 PM   #4
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humer
This is a limited release by Rogue. Having a hard time finding it in the liquors stores.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Won't help you much given that we're far away from each other, but we do sell it in the wine/beer shop that I part-time at.

To be completely honest with you, though, I wouldn't get bent outta shape trying to locate the stuff. It's good...don't get me wrong...but other than a couple of belgian malts, there's nothing that says "Abbey" or "Monk" in this beer (save for the name!) Call me crazy, but when I saw a "Monk Madness" bottle on our shelf, I expected, at the very least, something fermented w/ a Belgian yeast. I mean, 75% of the attraction of Belgian brews, especially Abbeys and Trappists, is the flavor profile from the unique yeast strains.

Yet, Maier chose to ferment this one with ol' Pacman. A great strain, no doubt, but not the right choice, IMHO, for something that is even approaching anything Belgian in style. In fact, I'd say that this brew turned out somewhere in between a brown and an ESB.

In other words, if your desire to find this stuff is generated by your curiosity for Belgian-styled Rogue beer, I wouldn't look too hard to find it. Like I said, it's good beer, but not exactly as unique as I would like it to be.

Just my $0.02.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Quick Reply