Replacing cascade with centennial

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

will_rouse

Reaction score
My recipient calls for half OZ of cascade and half oz of centennial. I'm just replacing it with one oz of centennial. Also it's a blonde recipe. Does this sound like a bad idea?

You'll probably need less centennial to replace the cascade. The alpha % of centennial is usually twice that of cascade. If you want more bitterness go for it. But if you want to duplicate the recipe you'll need to calculate the difference.

Pretty good substitute but I would lower the 60 minute addition if you are swapping the two. If you want to use the rest of the ounce of hops just dump it in at flameout.

Well the recipe says the cascade was for 20 minutes an 5 minutes so that's "Mostly" aroma anyway right?

20 minutes will still add a bit of IBUs and will be more of a flavor addition than aroma. 5 minutes will give you minimal IBUs and more aroma than anything.

Back