Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Red Star Pasteur Champange dry yeast for BEER

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2011, 02:29 PM   #1
letsbrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Red Star Pasteur Champange dry yeast for BEER

Well i got some packages of red star pasteur champange dry yeast, they said it cant be used for sparkling wine because the yeast it doesnt floculate well.

But i want it to use it for beer high gravity beer but my doubt is that an sparkling wine has CO2 as well the beer has CO2. (i want to brew a clone for black tuesday stout from the bruery and that beer has around 19% alcohol)

Im guessing they dont recomend it for sparking wine because once you open the bottle the bubbles will rise the yeast, for you this make sense?

If this is the reason they dont recomend it could the cold crash techinique will help or diminish the trouble or some gelatin?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2011, 03:22 PM   #2
McGarnigle
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Why would champagne yeast not work for sparkling wine, given that champagne is sparkling wine?

Old 12-07-2011, 11:01 PM   #3
letsbrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

yes its quite tricky that description (from the website) here the link: http://valleyvintner.com/Merchant2/D...RCHAMPAGNE.pdf

Old 12-07-2011, 11:19 PM   #4
starrfish
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 25

made a very dry sparkling cider with that yeast. bottle conditioned & it came out VERY dry and Crystal Clear. I did age it in bottle for 9 months 12 months, and last at 18 months yeast was packed by 9 months , and so firmly packed by 12 months I got all but a bit of cider out of bottle (beer capped champagne bottles), almost same at 18mo.

“Son, you are a walking violation of the laws of nature, but you’re lucky, we don't enforce them laws.”

Old 12-08-2011, 02:56 PM   #5
letsbrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrfish View Post
made a very dry sparkling cider with that yeast. bottle conditioned & it came out VERY dry and Crystal Clear. I did age it in bottle for 9 months 12 months, and last at 18 months yeast was packed by 9 months , and so firmly packed by 12 months I got all but a bit of cider out of bottle (beer capped champagne bottles), almost same at 18mo.
interesting so basically in your case the yeast was still carbing the cider? thats why the cider came out?

Old 12-08-2011, 03:14 PM   #6
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 49

You don't want champagne/wine yeasts as the only yeast in your beer. Those yeasts only eat simple sugars (like the ones found in wines) so they won't eat the longer chain sugars that you typically find in beer.

And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 12-08-2011, 03:54 PM   #7
starrfish
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyzazz View Post
You don't want champagne/wine yeasts as the only yeast in your beer. Those yeasts only eat simple sugars (like the ones found in wines) so they won't eat the longer chain sugars that you typically find in beer.
still had enough energy to carb the cider with the addition of priming sugar. that being said cider is closer to a wine than beer.

“Son, you are a walking violation of the laws of nature, but you’re lucky, we don't enforce them laws.”

Old 12-08-2011, 04:04 PM   #8
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrfish View Post
still had enough energy to carb the cider with the addition of priming sugar. that being said cider is closer to a wine than beer.
And you added priming sugar, which is a simple sugar. I use dry wine yeast to carb up my barleywines and belgians that sit for months in tertiary.
And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 12-08-2011, 04:08 PM   #9
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2767 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Although at the top of the pdf they say that it is not commonly used for Sparkling wines, they say HOW to use it for sparkling wines later in the same pdf.

Quote:
For sparkling wines, the yeast should be acclimatized to alcohol by first growing it in juice of sweetened diluted wine until ½ the sugar has fermented, then adding it to the production vat.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-09-2011, 03:28 AM   #10
letsbrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Although at the top of the pdf they say that it is not commonly used for Sparkling wines, they say HOW to use it for sparkling wines later in the same pdf.
Yes so they recomend an starter for sparkling wines but i dont know to much about sparkling wine i dont know what situation affects the performance of the yeast when you use it for sparkling wines maybe there is a difference between normal cider,wine to the sparkling wine.

But i have made liquor with raspberries,blackberries with bread yeast and they came great and i gues the only difference will be that you have to bottle sonner in order to carb the wine and that wine will became a sparkling wine, so maybe the pressure affects the performance of this particular yeast and maybe thats why they said than an starter is mandatory issue, and dont know perhaps.

But if the pressure its the point and dont mind i could use another kind of yeast maybe s04 to carb the beer (well if the champange yeast could eat long chains of sugar from a big big sweet stout) cos i want to clone the Black Tuesdar beer hehe.

Quick Reply