Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Red IPA Attempt

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2012, 02:35 PM   #21
Chris7687
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Well sh!t!!! How do I get the red without the strong malt presence? I'm trying to make something similar to Tocobaga Red by Cigar City.

Can I up the CaraRed without bringing to much malt taste to the recipe? Maybe mash at a lower temp, 149ish?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 02:59 PM   #22
Jayhem
Recipes 

Liked 256 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 1163

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris7687 View Post
Well sh!t!!! How do I get the red without the strong malt presence? I'm trying to make something similar to Tocobaga Red by Cigar City.

Can I up the CaraRed without bringing to much malt taste to the recipe? Maybe mash at a lower temp, 149ish?
What about Carafa I to darken the color without adding malt sweetness? I'm not sure how much CaraRed you can use but every red ale I've ever tasted was pretty malty if it was actually red in color. I understand the novelty of making a "red ipa" but black ipa's are much easier to achieve without too much malty taste. Honestly though, I don't mind a bit of malt up front in a dark IPA...it adds character to the style. Porter taste up front and then IPA bitterness and aroma take over at the finish. I love this style!

Next up: American Pale Ale
Primary 1&2: American Brown Ale
Primary 3&4: Hopped up Belgian Tripel
Bottle Conditioning/drinking: Summer Kolsch, White Zombie (Amarillo IPA), English Pale Ale (ESB)

Old 12-13-2012, 03:12 PM   #23
Chris7687
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Yea I understand there is going to be some give and take with getting the color out that I want. I just don't want the pallate to pay to much attention to the malt, as I do to the bitterness flavors and hoppy aroma. Luckily, I live by CCB so I have an infinite supply of Tocobaga Red I can do side-by-side comparisons of.

Old 12-13-2012, 03:14 PM   #24
Jayhem
Recipes 

Quote:
Yea I understand there is going to be some give and take with getting the color out that I want. I just don't want the pallate to pay to much attention to the malt, as I do to the bitterness flavors and hoppy aroma. Luckily, I live by CCB so I have an infinite supply of Tocobaga Red I can do side-by-side comparisons of.
Yea. Definitely mash on the low side. Sweetness really takes away from an IPA in my opinion.

Bottle Conditioning/drinking: Summer Kolsch, White Zombie (Amarillo IPA), English Pale Ale (ESB)

Old 12-13-2012, 04:58 PM   #25
Odin_Brews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I did a red IPA with about 4% each carared/caraaroma (basically C20/C120) and I liked how it turned out. I didn't find it too overly sweet or malty, but Im no registered judge or anything

Id dry hop a half ounce each of colombus/cascade/amarillo. I do 2-3 oz per 6 gallon batch. I also enjoy the multiple hops in combo and the way they kind of layer together

Old 12-13-2012, 06:12 PM   #26
Chris7687
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Went with 4 oz of Each for CaraRed, Caramel 40, and Caramel 120. Going to mash around 150-152. I am going to make it this weekend on the stove top. I will let you all know how it turns out come the New Year! Thanks for the insight.

Old 12-13-2012, 06:36 PM   #27
Jayhem
Recipes 

Quote:
Went with 4 oz of Each for CaraRed, Caramel 40, and Caramel 120. Going to mash around 150-152. I am going to make it this weekend on the stove top. I will let you all know how it turns out come the New Year! Thanks for the insight.
Please take a picture of the hydrometer sample before you pitch the yeast. I'm curious how the color will come out before and after fermentation. This recipe interests me.

Old 12-13-2012, 07:16 PM   #28
GrogNerd
Mean Old Man
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 858 Times on 596 Posts
Likes Given: 111

can name it

IRA IPA

"If you want to do something, do it and then have a homebrew. If you don't want to do it, just have a homebrew" - Charlie Papazian

"Beer. Good." - Words of House Grog

drinking: Maibock, DB8Point IPA Clone, Belgian Wit, Rain Delay IPA, Wojtkowiak Piwo, CLB's Barleywine, 8Hearted Pale Ale, O'Rob's Dry Irish Stout - bottle conditioning: DB8PT Session Ale, Otto M. Gourd Pumpkin Barleywine, Jewel Thieves Apple Wine, Wojtkowiak Grodziskie - bulk conditioning: barleywine

Old 12-14-2012, 01:16 AM   #29
Chris7687
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhem View Post
Please take a picture of the hydrometer sample before you pitch the yeast. I'm curious how the color will come out before and after fermentation. This recipe interests me.
Will do. I am going to use a full pack of rehydrated US-05 for the 2.5 gallon batch.

Old 12-14-2012, 01:26 AM   #30
dbsmith
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Adding just a touch of roasted barley and perhaps special B (like 2% total) will give it a nice, red glow.

Quick Reply