Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Red Ale - Second Attempt

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2012, 12:52 PM   #11
FourSeasonAngler
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 184

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCBrewin View Post
I was shooting for a little on the darker side - I think mine came in around 16-17SRM, which is pushing it a little for a red. At 20SRM you're likely to end up with a beer that is too dark, IMO.

I would get rid of the RB completely and let the dark crystals do the coloring. I got most of my SRM points from my Special B and C120. The vienna (if you're using it, which you should for a nice malty flavor) will also contribute to a nice red hue.

Mine ended up much darker than I anticipated, probably in the 22/23 range.

Next time I brew this I will halve these two additions:

1.0 lb. Briess crystal 120L
8 oz. Pale chocolate malt 200L

I'd rather have the victory impart some orange and have the 120/Pale chocolate add a touch of color from there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCBrewin View Post
So is it like a really hoppy American style belgian red with all of those late hops? Hop prevalent is the spiciness and esters of that yeast?
Actually the bitterness is not there to say it's really hoppy, but the hop aroma is definitely there. The Belgian Ardiennes yeast really left a lot of fruity esters that help back up the fruity nose of the Belma hops. It's not a fruity banana or green apple, it's almost like strawberry. I also never really got any spiciness, but it's still green and needs a couple weeks to carb up. So we'll see how it tastes then...

Why is the home brew always gone?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2013, 08:52 PM   #12
OCBrewin
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Just updated my other thread so I thought I should update this one too. Here was my final outcome. Came out well. Kicked the keg about a month ago and am missing it now...

image-631071638.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply