Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Recommendations for Wyeast 3522 Belgian Ardennes in Belgian Pale Ale?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2009, 03:33 PM   #1
LeeF
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Recommendations for Wyeast 3522 Belgian Ardennes in Belgian Pale Ale?

I brewed a Belgian Pale Ale (Jamil's Recipe) A ProMash Recipe - The Jamil Show - Belgian Pale Ale

My question is what temperature would be best for this style. Fermentation is very active after 12 hrs. I have the temp at 68F after 36 hrs and was thinking about allowing temp to increase gradually. The Wyeast site says range is 65F-85F. I'm thinking about letting it slowly approach 80F. Any comments or suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2009, 03:42 PM   #2
Tonedef131
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Wow, I was just wondering this exact same thing. I am brewing a BPA very soon and was planning to use this yeast because of it's lower temp tolerance. I was planning to pitch at 65 and let it warm up to 68 as it gets active. I really want to keep the Belgian character under control, but I still want a bit of it. Does anyone know what level of esters to expect if it's kept in the high 60s?

Old 03-09-2009, 05:23 PM   #3
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 2

When I used this strain I pitched at 65*F, kept it at 68*F for 24 hours, and then ramped it up to 72*F for day 2, 78*F for day 3, and 84*F for day 4. Then it attenuated so I let it fall back to room temp for conditioning. The yeast character was just perfect, and there were no fusels. Be sure to pitch lots of healthy yeast from a big starter and aerate well for added insurance against off flavors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Old 03-29-2011, 06:06 AM   #4
Amanofbeer
Recipes 

Just put a Saison in 2ndary with this yeast. Has not fully attenuated...long way to go. Perhaps it should not have been put into 2ndary, but it wasn't doing anything, so I thought it would be a good next move. Would it attenuate better at that higher temp at this point? I'm washing some of the yeast right now, and also was wondering how it would be for a belgian strong dark. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Quick Reply