Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Recommendation for Pale Chocolate in American Brown Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2010, 12:47 AM   #1
jescholler
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Recommendation for Pale Chocolate in American Brown Ale

I would like to use some pale chocolate in my next American Brown Ale. I'm looking for some recommendations on how much to use. If I were using all normal chocolate, I would probably use 4-5%. I'm thinking with the pale chocolate, I might want to use a little bit of that in combination with the normal chocolate. I was thinking 4% pale chocolate and 2% normal chocolate.

Suggestions?

Primary: Not until fall :(
Bottle: English Barleywine
On Deck: Session APA, Vanilla Oatmeal Stout

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2010, 01:02 AM   #2
fastricky
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

I think 4.2% would be good, it should get you @ 17.5 SRM. Not sure you'd need the normal chocolate malt assuming you'd have a dark crystal in there... (like C90).

Old 02-15-2010, 12:05 PM   #3
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

I recently made an American Brown ale with pale chocolate and used 1/2# but I also used 2 oz. Carafa Special II. That ended up being 5.6% and 1.4 % respectively. Color was ~18 SRM. There was also a pound of Golden Naked Oats (10L) and the rest was 2-row pale malt plus a little flaked barley. OG was 1.053.

Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Last edited by SpanishCastleAle; 02-16-2010 at 11:25 AM. Reason: 12-row pale malt? lol

Old 02-15-2010, 12:47 PM   #4
phasedweasel
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpanishCastleAle View Post
I recently made an American Brown ale with pale chocolate and used 1/2# but I also used 2 oz. Carafa Special II. That ended up being 5.6% and 1.4 % respectively. Color was ~18 SRM. There was also a pound of Golden Naked Oats (10L) and the rest was 12-row pale malt plus a little flaked barley. OG was 1.053.
How did you like it?

Old 02-15-2010, 01:28 PM   #5
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

Haven't tasted it yet, I was just commenting on the color contribution. I've never used Golden Naked Oats and this brew was to see what they're like.

Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Old 02-16-2010, 01:13 AM   #6
jescholler
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpanishCastleAle View Post
Haven't tasted it yet, I was just commenting on the color contribution. I've never used Golden Naked Oats and this brew was to see what they're like.
Keep us posted on how it tastes. I'm still about a month away from brewing this, so I've got some time.

Primary: Not until fall :(
Bottle: English Barleywine
On Deck: Session APA, Vanilla Oatmeal Stout

Quick Reply