LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2013, 12:11 AM   #1
Jbird
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Recipes

I need help understanding something. I just want to be able to know if I want to brew 1, 3, 5, or bigger gallon batches how many of each type of ingredients to add. Like make my own recipe. For example I want to brew 5 gallons and I just buy hops and grains how do I know how much to buy. I do know that different beers take different amounts but is there a website or chart I can kind of look at that says "you need this much hops, this much grain or DME." maybe a chart that would help me find a reasonable substitute for something in a recipe to kind of make it my own.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2013, 12:50 AM   #2
Billybrewer09
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts

There are no charts. First you need to understand what makes up a beers flavor profile. Then you will need to figure out what grains will give you that.
Then move on to hops. You have bittering, flavor and aroma. Some hops can be used for all 3 and some cant.
Brewmasters bible and designing great beers are good books to read to get an understanding on how a beer is built.
Then you can buy beersmith or use beer calculus build your beer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply