Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Recipe for WLP007

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2011, 02:20 PM   #1
lyacovett
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Recipe for WLP007

I have a starter going of WLP007. I was planning on brewing a brown ale, but now am concerned that this yeast may attenuate too much for a brown. Would this yeast work well in a brown? If not, what would it be good for? I want a malt forward beer, but nothing big. if this is not good for a brown, what about Orfy's mild? The recipe calls for Notty, which is a highly attenuative yeast as well.

What do you think?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2011, 02:40 PM   #2
SD-SLIM
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyacovett View Post
I have a starter going of WLP007. I was planning on brewing a brown ale, but now am concerned that this yeast may attenuate too much for a brown. Would this yeast work well in a brown? If not, what would it be good for? I want a malt forward beer, but nothing big. if this is not good for a brown, what about Orfy's mild? The recipe calls for Notty, which is a highly attenuative yeast as well.

What do you think?
That's a dry ale strain, not really the one I would go with for a brown ale...I prefer Wyeast 1056 or 1450 on my brown ale's...just my opinion!
happy Brewing!

Old 05-31-2011, 02:46 PM   #3
PseudoChef

Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 39

I say use it in a brown ale - I really doubt you'll tell the difference. Perhaps mash higher than you normally would to decrease fermentables. Adding some Carapils may also work to increase mouthfeel. This is very close to Stone's house strain, and they use it in some beers with plenty of body still remaining, i.e., Old Guardian, Bitter Chocolate, RIS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD-SLIM View Post
That's a dry ale strain, not really the one I would go with for a brown ale...I prefer Wyeast 1056 or 1450 on my brown ale's...just my opinion!
happy Brewing!
According to the WL website, 007 and 001(1056) have the same attenutation limits, so I can't see how drastically different 007 and 1056 would be.

Old 05-31-2011, 02:50 PM   #4
lyacovett
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I would think 1056 would be out of place, at least in an English brown ale. It's actually a bit more attenuative that 007, and would be lacking the ester profile ... I could be wrong though.

If I use this in a brown, I will probably mash in the 156 range to keep the FG a bit higher.

Old 05-31-2011, 04:35 PM   #5
SD-SLIM
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PseudoChef View Post
I say use it in a brown ale - I really doubt you'll tell the difference. Perhaps mash higher than you normally would to decrease fermentables. Adding some Carapils may also work to increase mouthfeel. This is very close to Stone's house strain, and they use it in some beers with plenty of body still remaining, i.e., Old Guardian, Bitter Chocolate, RIS.

According to the WL website, 007 and 001(1056) have the same attenutation limits, so I can't see how drastically different 007 and 1056 would be.
I am a little confused...the White Lab strain that OP was discussing has this description:

WLP007 Dry English Ale Yeast
Clean, highly flocculent, and highly attenuative yeast. This yeast is similar to WLP002 in flavor profile, but is 10% more attenuative. This eliminates the residual sweetness, and makes the yeast well suited for high gravity ales. It is also reaches terminal gravity quickly. 80% attenuation will be reached even with 10% ABV beers.
Attenuation: 70-80%
Flocculation: Medium to High
Optimum Fermentation Temperature: 65-70°F
(18-21°C)
Alcohol Tolerance: Medium-High

I have used and had great successful with using Wyeast strains versus White Labs, here is a description from there website:

http://www.wyeastlab.com/com_b_styledetails.cfm?ID=155

and descriptions of each yeast:

YEAST STRAIN: 1450 | Denny's Favorite 50
This terrific all-round yeast can be used for almost any beer style, and is a mainstay of one of our local homebrewers, Mr. Denny Conn. It is unique in that it produces a big mouthfeel and accentuates the malt, caramel, or fruit character of a beer without being sweet or under-attenuated..

Origin:
Flocculation: Low
Attenuation: 74-76%
Temperature Range: 60-70F 15-21C
Alcohol Tolerance: ABV 10%

YEAST STRAIN: 1056 | American Ale
Very clean, crisp flavor characteristics with low fruitiness and mild ester production. A very versatile yeast for styles that desire dominant malt and hop character. This strain makes a wonderful “House” strain. Mild citrus notes develop with cooler 60-66°F (15-19ºC) fermentations. Normally requires filtration for bright beers.

Origin:
Flocculation: Medium-Low
Attenuation: 73-77%
Temperature Range: 60-72F, 15-22C
Alcohol Tolerance: 11% ABV

Old 05-31-2011, 04:44 PM   #6
lyacovett
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Whenever I use Chico, no matter which lab, I get 80% attenuation, and the hops always dominate, not the malt at all. And the ester profile is not right for an English ale, IMHO. With WLP007, the low end of attenuation is 70%, but 1056 is at 73%.

I have no experience with Denny's favorite, so I cane make no comments on it.

Even though i do appreciate any input i get from this board, My question though was what to do with WLP007, not suggestions for other yeasts to use for a brown. I already have the starter going, and don't want to change it up at this point.

Old 05-31-2011, 04:52 PM   #7
SD-SLIM
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyacovett View Post
Whenever I use Chico, no matter which lab, I get 80% attenuation, and the hops always dominate, not the malt at all. And the ester profile is not right for an English ale, IMHO. With WLP007, the low end of attenuation is 70%, bs 1056 at 73%.

I have no experience with Denny's favorite, so I cane make no comments on it.

Even though i do appreciate any input i get from this board, My question though was what to do with WLP007, not suggestions for other yeasts to use for a brown. I already have the starter going, and don't want to change it up at this point.
Ahhh got it, I apologize I read the question wrong!

Old 05-31-2011, 06:00 PM   #8
PseudoChef

Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Yeah, I see the same results as lyacovett - never under 80% AA with WLP001/WY1056/S-05, so I rarely use it.

The Denny's is nice and gives fantastic malt-forward notes, but definitely has real low flocc in my experience.

Just goes to show how everyone's system is different!

Old 05-31-2011, 06:13 PM   #9
MNDan
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts

Use it on the brown with a higher mash temp (155) and perhaps throw in a little extra crystal malt. Then use the resulting yeast cake to make a couple of big beers (Imperial Stout/IPA/Barleywine). That's what I plan on doing with the 007 I just picked up, though my first beer may be some sort of small ESB instead...

Let us know how it goes.

Old 05-31-2011, 06:20 PM   #10
lyacovett
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNDan
Use it on the brown with a higher mash temp (155) and perhaps throw in a little extra crystal malt. Then use the resulting yeast cake to make a couple of big beers (Imperial Stout/IPA/Barleywine). That's what I plan on doing with the 007 I just picked up, though my first beer may be some sort of small ESB instead...

Let us know how it goes.
So have you used this before? It is supposedly dry Whitbread strain. Do you know if it has a similar profile Whitbread?

Quick Reply