New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Recipe Wanted for Samuel Smith's Old Brewery Pale Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2011, 12:27 AM   #1
devils4ever
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default Recipe Wanted for Samuel Smith's Old Brewery Pale Ale

Does anyone have an all-grain recipe for Samuel Smith's Old Brewery Pale Ale?

This beer is turning out to be one of my favorite commerical beers.

"Hush little brewski don't you leak, daddy wants to drink for at least a week." -- Bender of Futurama

"Actually, Dwight, you're right. Alcohol is very very bad...for children. But once you turn 21, it becomes very very good! So scram!" -- Leela

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2011, 02:25 AM   #2
BarleyAndVine
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I am somewhat gifted at cloning brews. Email me at info@barleyNvine.com and I'll put something together for you.

Old 04-30-2011, 03:47 AM   #3
rockfish42
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 5

It's even better on cask, my wife usually hates pale ales but fell in love with it at Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese in London.

Old 04-30-2011, 03:52 AM   #4
Bokonon
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarleyAndVine View Post
I am somewhat gifted at cloning brews. Email me at info@barleyNvine.com and I'll put something together for you.
An account created this month with only a few posts, if you want some credibility why not just "put something together" and post it here

Old 04-30-2011, 04:14 AM   #5
MrAverage
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

this might get you close. I found it at http://www.jimsbeerkit.co.uk/forum/search.php?t=5022
The recipe is based on the information published in the Real Ale Almanac by Roger Protz

QUOTE:

OLD BREWERY BITTER Samuel Smith Tadcaster.

25 litre batch OG 1037 ABV 4% 27 EBU

MARIS OTTER PALE MALT 3550 gms
CRYSTAL MALT 354 gms

HOPS boil time 90 minutes
FUGGLES 26 gms
GOLDINGS 27 gms

Anyone who has sampled Old Brewery will know the predominant taste is of TOFFEE.Sam Smiths says this comes from the yeast.To replicate this in homebrewing I use a technique I picked up in ZYMURGY magazine.Take 2 pints of UNHOPPED wort from your boiler and heat in a saucepan on the stove,It must be boiled vigorously on a high heat, STIR CONTINUOUSLY to avoid burning, within about 15 minutes the wort will start to thicken to a syrupy consitency and the desired caramel flavours should be apparent add this syrup to the main batch of wort in your boiler.

If you can still obtain BREW LABS YORKSHIRE ALE Yeast use that.

END QUOTE

Note that White Labs sells their "Yorkshire Square" yeast (WLP037) which is supposed to be the Sam Smith's yeast, but it's one of their special seasonal offerings. I think it's available in November and December

Old 04-30-2011, 11:53 AM   #6
devils4ever
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Yes, this ale has a somewhat unique flavor that I couldn't put my finger on. Thanks for pointing this out. I wouldn't have thought of boiling down a small portion of wort to produce this flavor. The yeast might be the hard item to find. Thanks for your input.

"Hush little brewski don't you leak, daddy wants to drink for at least a week." -- Bender of Futurama

"Actually, Dwight, you're right. Alcohol is very very bad...for children. But once you turn 21, it becomes very very good! So scram!" -- Leela

Quick Reply