Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Recipe suggestions needed

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2011, 04:35 PM   #1
ryaned82
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Recipe suggestions needed

I have a batch fermenting right now and I was originally set on adding apricot extract when I put in secondary on Saturday. This batch is going to be bottled and set aside until probably mid May or early June.

This is the first batch I've kind of gone on my own with in terms of not really following the instructions step by step. Let me start off by saying I probably should since I'm still a Jedi apprentice at this point.

6 lbs wheat DME
4.5 lbs used after 3 gallons water came to boil

Brought back to a boil - added 1 oz Hallertau hop pellets

At 35 minutes into boil added .05 oz Hallertau hop pellets (I.D.K, if felt right!)

With ten minutes left I added remaining 1.5 lbs wheat DME. Stirred that up and then immediately hit it as it began to rise up again with my last .05 oz of Hallertau hop pellets.

At five minutes remaining added 1 lb of honey

Added wort to two gallons of on the verge of freezing water. Then topped off with one more gallon of water.

Based on what I did should I stick with the Apricot extract plan or does anyone think I'm on the right tract for something else?

Reason: forgot about the last .05 oz of hops added

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2011, 09:12 PM   #2
Oldsock
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 190 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 115

You could bottle half as is, and add extract (to taste) to the rest. Your process sounds fine, I'm just not a big fan of extracts (on principle more than anything else).

Check out The Mad Fermentationist for my adventures in fermentation and my book: American Sour Beers!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply